• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C8 corvette

Not sure how I feel about this. I like progress, but I like American muscle cars to be that, not some European mid engine design. And like others said, gotta have a manual.

Not sure how I feel about this. I like progress, but I like American muscle cars to be that, not some European mid engine design. And like others said, gotta have a manual.
The Vette has never been a muscle car. It is a sports car on the verge of going into hypercar territory. They have reached the absolute limits of the front engine/rear drive car. They have no other option but to go mid engine if they want to keep pushing the barrier and limitations.

IMHO, GM and Chevy have jumped the shark (forgive the pun) with this. I don't think the people shopping for a Corvette want to have a car that looks like a Lambo or Ferrari. I have a LOT of friends that own Corvettes and many of them have the resources to buy Italian cars but like what Corvette has done to keep the heritage alive with a front/mid engine. Having said that, ever since the C5, the Corvette Racing team has had a LOT of input into what the production car should have so they can take it to the track. I like the fact that Corvette races in the IMSA series and that they kick ass but with the restrictions put on the engine and added weight, they are severely handicapped against Porsche and the Italians. Moving to a midship engine mitigates some of those handicaps but what will the long term repercussions be? Will the average Joe be drawn to the new Corvette? I doubt it, but Camaro sales will be boosted!

FWIW, I seriously doubt you'll be able to buy a new C8 without laying out serious 6 figures. The base model will probably go for north of $120K. That's without stealer mark-up.

The Vette has never been a muscle car. It is a sports car on the verge of going into hypercar territory. They have reached the absolute limits of the front engine/rear drive car. They have no other option but to go mid engine if they want to keep pushing the barrier and limitations.
I'm not sure what limits you are talking about. The C7 will pull 1.4G on the skidpad, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds with only 2 wheel drive. They've had a near perfect 50/50 weight split since the C6, and the Z06 crosses 200MPH off the factory floor. I wish IMSA would let them race unrestricted to show off exactly what a F/R Corvette can do.

Well I stand corrected on the "muscle car" part. I just assumed since it was American and still semi affordable it wasn't quite exotic or sports car territory. Looks like the C8 will do away with the affordable part though.

I dont mind the mid engine and like the looks. I do mind the lack of the manual though. Supposedly its only supposed to be 5-6k more for the base model over current gen. It will be just like now, being that there are currently 4 models of various pricing eventually. Id love to see what a grand sport model C8 will look like.

I don’t think the driveline would hold up to a manual or it’s gonna have body twist when someone revs it to about 6grand and side steps the clutch

I don’t think the driveline would hold up to a manual or it’s gonna have body twist when someone revs it to about 6grand and side steps the clutch

Sounds like that's already happening during testing. They tried twin turbos on that V8 and ran in to some body/frame twist.

Back
Top Bottom