• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C8 corvette

I think it’s a mistake. But hey, GM is good at that

They killed the fiero because it was threatening the corvette performance
QUOTE]

It wasn't because of that... GM management constantly changes and the new staff wants to start "fixing" things. Plus the budget staff always wants to cut costs, regardless of what it does to the product lineup.

The Fiero was never supposed to be developed into anything other than a basic commuter car. So I think management used the slowing sales, escalating production costs and early quality issues as a way to justify ending production. It was all under Roger B Smith so that explains it - he wasn't a car guy at all and really hurt GM during his reign.

I think the rear drive Corvette should be continued since it has so many fans (including me) and a history going back to the 1953 models. The new car should be called something else - I've heard "Zora" mentioned, after Zora Arkus-Duntov. Who knows what they will decide....

I predict The new one will top $100k within three years of its introduction and sales will drop off a lot

Most of the people who can afford a vette are old geezers who are never going to put it on a race track

And the late model vettes have performance way past useable on the street

They don’t care about ring times or any of that
Most just want the snob appeal of saying they own a new corvette

Look at what I bought that you can’t afford kind of thing

Biggest problem is the camaro is getting very close to corvette performance for a lot less $$

So Like they did with the fiero
GM has to make sure that doesn’t happen

Agreed. I can't think of the last time I saw a Vette driver blowing down the road bangin through the gears. Usually they're doing 55 in the fast lane and I have to go around them.

It wasn't because of that... GM management constantly changes and the new staff wants to start "fixing" things. Plus the budget staff always wants to cut costs, regardless of what it does to the product lineup.

The Fiero was never supposed to be developed into anything other than a basic commuter car. So I think management used the slowing sales, escalating production costs and early quality issues as a way to justify ending production. It was all under Roger B Smith so that explains it - he wasn't a car guy at all and really hurt GM during his reign.

I think the rear drive Corvette should be continued since it has so many fans (including me) and a history going back to the 1953 models. The new car should be called something else - I've heard "Zora" mentioned, after Zora Arkus-Duntov. Who knows what they will decide....

The typical GM move was spending millions to completely redesign the fiero for the ‘88 model year and then killing it after one year

And I agree
They should keep the regular corvette design
And make the new one a totally different car
Like ford did with the GT-40

Agreed. I can't think of the last time I saw a Vette driver blowing down the road bangin through the gears. Usually they're doing 55 in the fast lane and I have to go around them.
The last time I took the beast out, I was seeing triple digits by the time I hit the end of the on-ramp :) But, I'm certainly not the typical Corvette owner. I drive the hell out of mine, and I think I've worn out more parts in a year than most people who own them do in a lifetime.

The people who will by the first C8's will be the old, retired car show freaks. They'll bring them out, polish them up and stand by their garage art while da masses will oogle over the car and relate that their uncle had one back in the day (probably a 1983!). Then they'll drive them back to the garage (barely running more than 2000RPM), snuggle them in, and maybe come out and stare it once a day waiting until next month to go to the next car show.

On the other hand, we'll hear about the first one wrapped around a pole by some dipsheet dealer showing off for a 'customer' that wouldn't be shelling out the coin for one anyway. Same sheet, different bed.

Can’t blame em

All the police departments care about now is writing traffic tickets

Was in Woodstock yesterday and they had FIVE cars in speed traps in a couple mile stretch of 92 south of 575

Then went to Athens
GSP had two cars parked running radar between 92 and 75

Cobb county had three between 575 and 285

Sandy springs had two
Dunwoody had two
DoraVille had one

Gwinnett county had several

Jefferson had two running radar on 129
Podunk non city of Arcade has one permanently parked in the turn lane on 129

A two hour drive and I know I saw at least a dozen cops running radar traps

It’s all about the money and having a corvette is pointless except for the snob appeal

And BMW Benz and Porsche have more snob appeal for the same money than a corvette

Which is part of the problem for GM
They are getting crushed both ways

But what Porsche does is make super car versions of its 911. That while looking the same as the regular 911
Have unbelievable performance and cost $800k

They still make normal 911’s for commuters
And they even make SUVs to help keep the company profitable so they can keep making sports cars

I don't own a vette, but I got the chance to drive a rental 2015 Stingray. I beat the hell out of it. I was like when will I drive another one? But I've owned older 'Stangs and Camaros, I was always hard on them.

The last time I took the beast out, I was seeing triple digits by the time I hit the end of the on-ramp :) But, I'm certainly not the typical Corvette owner. I drive the hell out of mine, and I think I've worn out more parts in a year than most people who own them do in a lifetime.

The people who will by the first C8's will be the old, retired car show freaks. Then they'll drive them back to the garage (barely running more than 2000RPM), snuggle them in, and maybe come out and stare it once a day waiting until next month to go to the next car show.

On the other hand, we'll hear about the first one wrapped around a pole by some dipsheet dealer showing off for a 'customer' that wouldn't be shelling out the coin for one anyway. Same sheet, different bed.

I used to work with a 50ish woman that bought a new 2017 Mustang GT with 6 speed and several performance options. Told her that I enjoy my 2007 Mustang GT with it when possible (meaning no cops near the on ramp). However she told me she hasn't got her Mustang over 55/60 mph!! She was probably already in 4th gear by the time she pulled out of the parking lot... What a waste of a fine car.

Yeah I remember reading about the first few wrecked Hellcats within days of them being released and sold. One was wrecked the same day he got it! :frown:

The people who will by the first C8's will be the old, retired car show freaks. They'll bring them out, polish them up and stand by their garage art while da masses will oogle over the car and relate that their uncle had one back in the day (probably a 1983!). Then they'll drive them back to the garage (barely running more than 2000RPM), snuggle them in, and maybe come out and stare it once a day waiting until next month to go to the next car show.

You still owe me a ride in that thing.....if i can get in it! Lol

I know! Now that the weather has turned, we'll get you out!
By the way, it's not getting in that's hard, it's extracting yourself from it!!
Yep, i know...last one i got in was at an auto show a few years back before the spine got real bad....it was a chore getting out ! Lol.
Like you say, getting in is ok...ya just slide down in place !
You should try to make the bbq place for the M&G Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom