• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cades Cove Timber Rattler

Y’all probably been closer than you think if you hunt in the south. I’ve had the unfortunate experience to cross paths with 7 or 8 over the years. All but the one at cades cove went on to snake heaven
Believe me I know. I've crawled all over all kinds of woods and actually never come across a venomous snake of any kind, in Georgia that is. But I'm 100% positive they've seen me. Again, good with that.

Was strolling through some acreage for sale in Mississippi a few years back. At one point, mid-stride of my walk, looked down to see that I was straddling one in a coiled position. I think I jumped 10 feet and never looked back. It was a very hot, mid-August day... I am guessing the heat helped disguise my presence and probably why he didn't strike.

20748301_10214165501917986_5344265080999344476_o.jpg

Got this one a couple years ago.
This was moments before his last rattle.

Bout 30 years ago went down to Ocala to visit a friend. We were riding mtn bikes along some rr tracks then cut off throgh a field. Grass was not real high a we were riding by side when I saw what I thought was a log. We split it and realized what it was. Don’t know what kind of rattle snake it was but it was thick. Only one I ever saw.

thTs what they make the zoom function for.

Exactly. I was not as close as the video appears. I thought I had captured the part where it completely coiled up and was holding it's rattle above it's body, but I managed to fat finger the stop button evidently. As soon as I turned away and headed back to the truck, it uncoiled and did not waste time heading to the side of the road.

We had a family with small kids pull up behind as as it was crawling away, and I think they got a good glimpse of it. The lady said they had never seen one before.

Back
Top Bottom