• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a ODT EMT Justify $1100.00 16 mile ride to Hospital

1100 is about right, we charge around 1600. if you have health insurance most of the time they cover the transport 100%

something to keep in mind is there are alot of costs to run an ambulance service. ambulances can cost 200k and up, insurance is astronomical, medical supplies are very expensive. for example our two way radios are around 3k a pop, computer around 5k, cardiac monitor is in the 20-30k range. this costs gets passed down. sadly not to my paycheck though.

Also, as I have heard from EMT buddies,the service is abused by non- paying "customers" who are sometimes not even injured. Even those who just want a ride to that part of town where the hospital is.... amazing

Being in the electrical industry, I can tell you another reason. I had a service call at a relatives house that I didn't charge for, but the problem was that the entire house for several months had constant power flickering. With some service calls you can't predict how long trouble shooting will take considering I have to plan my day accordingly. If I have you booked at 7, and willing to spend, say 3 hours there to find the problem, I can't schedule my next client until atleast 11. Long story short I went to the house, problem wad not happening. Said it happens for 10-15 minutes, then normal for a few hours. I check voltage at both phases to both neutral and ground. Sit there with 2 meters constantly reading voltage incoming thinking its an issue with power company's side when I hear the panel arcing behind my meter. Sure enough, both lugs were loose on the bus. Kill the panel, torque everything down, button it up, problem solved. Max. time of 1 hour there. Unfortunately my next client isn't available until 10:30. Hence minimum charges.

What the **** are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom