• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a ODT EMT Justify $1100.00 16 mile ride to Hospital

No one is getting rich off our service. There are WAY more things that have to be paid for than just what I listed. Yes if we ran two calls a day and everyone paid we would be doing alot better. BUT, most don't pay, Medicare pays a small fraction of the normal charge.

Every hospital bill I've ever ran through insurance gets reduced.. Usually to 25%, and then I pay some as well. Insurance usually always negotiates their price down. That's with cigna, I'm sure Medicaid pays even less.

$1,100 is about average. The last few people I know who rode in Gwinnett got bills for $1,300. They don't bill if you aren't transported.

EMT treatment doesn't come cheap. Ambulances cost upward of $100,000, plus equipment, plus meds, plus staff. Also keep in mind that thousands of welfare queens statewide are getting ambulance rides for pennies on the dollar, if not for free.

Ambulance Ride...Bleeding was stopped by people on the seen with a 1st aid kit before they arrived...
Few min into the ride
Icepack and Oxygen had to be asked for due to lightheadedness . No additional care given.
16 miles to Hospital
X
Chaching $1100.00 tab
Did they at least give you a heads up that it would cost that much? I had a guy helping me move some furniture out of my house and he got hurt. He fell off the moving truck ramp and a wall unit landed right on top of him. Thought he was dead! Ambulance arrived and told me he'd be OK. Just hurt his ankle. EMT recommended I take him to the hospital myself since the 4 mile ride would be $500. Other thing they get you for at the emergency room is the $500 tetanus shot for scrapes and cuts.

This...your looking more like 50k+ easy......that's about the going rate....it's much cheaper if your able to, to have someone else drive you (coming, from someone who went to EMT school). It's a very valuable service especially during critical or life and death but, it ain't cheap, and insurance won't pay for all of it.....

I am happy I have good insurance they pay 100% of my taxi ride when needed

Same here! Still doesnt ease the fact that it equals next to half of my yearly premium. for next to nothing.. Cant tell me it doesnt contribute to high cost of insurance right in line with fraud and welfare and illegals..Specifics may be different but its an equation part of the bottom line.
I am happy I have good insurance they pay 100% of my taxi ride when needed

My ambulance ride was 63 miles. Insurance paid 400 I have to pay 1350. I am sure that the charge will go down. Wait a week and call them and ask them for a itemized bill.
Forgot to mention it was like $9 per mile and 500 flat charge just to get in. Plus medication oxygen and other things. On a serious note had I not gone in an ambulance I'd have passed out from the pain, shock and blood loss. They called for the chopper when they showed up I declined and requested an ambulance.
Not because I'm a cheap ass but because I don't like flying. Especially in a helicopter I like earth and choose to stay on the ground lol

A few days later I went and thanked all of the first responders that helped take care of me face to face. These guys get no credit for the life's they save most of the time. We should all thank them they don't do it for the money that's for sure

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom