• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a ODT EMT Justify $1100.00 16 mile ride to Hospital

Negative ghostrider. A good burn will get you the Marcus Trauma Center and then a stay on the third floor.

Yep. Good ole 3rd floor I actually had the room on the end to myself for a little over a week. The doctor that did my graft did a awesome job. That was a BIG bill

Youre damn right bud...90 percent of our transports are unnecessary.

I can believe it. I see the amberlamps in my neighborHOOD at least once a week. They come a pick up some guy that is strung out on some illegal drugs a couple times a month when he gets his "check". The other times they roll down the street where people call whenever someone has a bad cough or vomits. (not necessarily an emergency)
The majority of the time the crack head just needs a good nap, and the rest of the people should just chill and not take a ride to the hospital.

- - - Updated - - -

Way off topic I know but basically my point was they have to pay an emt to stand around for several hours out of the day, so you're 30 minute trip also has to cover that as well.
They don't pay too high of a premium for them to stand around.

The majority of the costs come from other areas of the bill. Not the EMT.

I can believe it. I see the amberlamps in my neighborHOOD at least once a week. They come a pick up some guy that is strung out on some illegal drugs a couple times a month when he gets his "check". The other times they roll down the street where people call whenever someone has a bad cough or vomits. (not necessarily an emergency)
The majority of the time the crack head just needs a good nap, and the rest of the people should just chill and not take a ride to the hospital.

I just wanted to run the sirens :whistle:

I consider my greatest mistake not calling a helicopter 10 years ago when my father was dying. Instead he rode an ambulance from a cruddy hospitol to a great hospitol but the extra hour wasted killed him. Along with the hour my idiot brother let him lay on the ground in someones backyard a stones throw from the first hospitol.

The hand out receivers get free rides on the ambulance. I pay for mine and ten others rides.

The local life flight guys flew a lady that ran into a ditch that was running from the police. The witch almost t boned me before going into the ditch. Not one thing was wrong with her. The well equipped local hospital to me was 100 yards up the road. The ambulance service called the chopper to fly her to Columbus from Lagrange. I think they said $5000.00 a nautical mile.

1100 is about right, we charge around 1600. if you have health insurance most of the time they cover the transport 100%

something to keep in mind is there are alot of costs to run an ambulance service. ambulances can cost 200k and up, insurance is astronomical, medical supplies are very expensive. for example our two way radios are around 3k a pop, computer around 5k, cardiac monitor is in the 20-30k range. this costs gets passed down. sadly not to my paycheck though.

Let's not confuse "the going rate" for what it they charge compared to the actual costs in our Medical System today. Under the costs/ charges you've laid out above if you're rig did just 2 calls a day within the 1st year they would have Grossed $600,000.00. I'm sure you're running more than 2 per day. Wall St. Fat Cats getting Rich Rich Rich.

Let's not confuse "the going rate" for what it they charge compared to the actual costs in our Medical System today. Under the costs/ charges you've laid out above if you're rig did just 2 calls a day within the 1st year they would have Grossed $600,000.00. I'm sure you're running more than 2 per day. Wall St. Fat Cats getting Rich Rich Rich.

No one is getting rich off our service. There are WAY more things that have to be paid for than just what I listed. Yes if we ran two calls a day and everyone paid we would be doing alot better. BUT, most don't pay, Medicare pays a small fraction of the normal charge.

Back
Top Bottom