• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a ODT EMT Justify $1100.00 16 mile ride to Hospital

I took a ride in one last August, to the tune of $1600.00. I don't begrudge them for what they charge, because had they not been there to help me, I wouldn't be alive today to type this.

Im not reading all of the previous comments, so if this has already been said, sorry. But it costs alot of money to operate an ambulance. You got the ambulance itself, the Paramedic, the EMT (Unless you are lucky enough to have a double medic truck) all the equipment and supplies. Then you got to take in consideration the fuel costs. Diesel has been over $4 a gallon and these things run 24/7. Then consider all the BS calls we go to. Drive 15+ miles out to Joe Schmucatellis house for his "General Sickness" and he doesnt want to go with us. So we just wasted 5 gallons of fuel ($20), and possibly extended the response time to someone who actually needed medical attention.

My dad burnt himself very badly back in 2009. He was life flighted from Gratis to Grady. That bill was a solid $45k and insurance took care of it all. I was transported by Rural Metro in September after a wreck and it was $1780.....no care was given. I used to be a firefighter so I'm used to high costs but I was pissed when Rural Metro was blowing up my phone demanding money 2 months after the incident when I hadn't even finished physical therapy much less got my settlement.

So it seems the consensus of the replies is that we already have "SOCIALIZED MEDICINE" because the justification for the outrageous pricing is that we're paying for those who don't and are abusing the system. Boy did I have my eyes opened by reading the following article. I see the main point of it in this thread which is the entire healthcare debate is about who pays, never about "why the F*&^K does it cost so much... Google. There is also great advice about how to Negotiate with these thugs and stats about how executive pay in the HC industry makes Goldman Sacs looks like they're on welfare.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2136864,00.html

Same here! Still doesnt ease the fact that it equals next to half of my yearly premium. for next to nothing.. Cant tell me it doesnt contribute to high cost of insurance right in line with fraud and welfare and illegals..Specifics may be different but its an equation part of the bottom line.

I agree with everything you just said. I was just trying to say it is nice when I do need that service the one thing I do not need to worry about is that bill. Medical cost are 100% ridiculous I looked over my medical bill before one thing that stood out was they charged me $8.00 for 1 pair of rubber gloves. I have 2 daughters my 2nd daughter cost more then my 1st and on the 2nd daughter my wife stayed a day less and had less done to her 100% natural birth and the hospital bill was almost triple what it was for my 1st daughter. It is pathetic if I knew it was going to cost that much she would have gave birth in the bathtub

My dad burnt himself very badly back in 2009. He was life flighted from Gratis to Grady. That bill was a solid $45k and insurance took care of it all. I was transported by Rural Metro in September after a wreck and it was $1780.....no care was given. I used to be a firefighter so I'm used to high costs but I was pissed when Rural Metro was blowing up my phone demanding money 2 months after the incident when I hadn't even finished physical therapy much less got my settlement.

Hmm, I used to work for Rural/Metro for about 3 years. I left in July of last year, the South Fulton zone loses a lot of money, the north makes a lot of money, DeKalb is another story. But they were losing money all the way around so I'm not surprised they called.

1100 is about right, we charge around 1600. if you have health insurance most of the time they cover the transport 100%

something to keep in mind is there are alot of costs to run an ambulance service. ambulances can cost 200k and up, insurance is astronomical, medical supplies are very expensive. for example our two way radios are around 3k a pop, computer around 5k, cardiac monitor is in the 20-30k range. this costs gets passed down. sadly not to my paycheck though.

This, I know how much the supplies are because I was the logistics manager at my old job. It is very very expensive for most of this stuff. Hooking you up to a 12 lead monitor costs about 300 bucks. The company has to be self insured, have insurance for lawyers if something happens during transport etc. You have to pay the Paramedic and the Emt, you were also paying my paycheck, the dispatchers, the operations manager, the mechanics etc. It really does cost that much, my brothers was about 1600 for a 10 mile ride with fluids given etc.

Don't like the cost of an ambulance? Next time you have jury duty, and companies like Metro Atlanta, Puckett EMS, etc are being sued, make sure you give your 2 cents in the jury room during deliberation. It's like anything else in public safety, thanks to lawyers, the prices of insurance and operation have caused our bills to skyrocket.

Mine was 1400. Insurance said they only covered certain ambulances services and the one that came to my wreck scene was not one of them.

4.5 mile trip, I walked up got on the stretcher and they put a neck brace on me in case, took my blood pressure and that was it.

I guess I understand the cost, still sucks though. I felt good enough to drive but the paramedics said if it weren't for my side airbag my head would have went splat on the pine tree. And I should be checked for possible neck and spine injuries.

Back
Top Bottom