Carrying a Loaded Gun in Car

saltyjig

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning to get our carry permits soon (hard for us to both get free from work at the same time). In the meantime, what is the law for carrying a loaded weapon in your car? I have been on georgiacarry.org and other websites but can't seem to find anything specific on the gun being loaded and in the console of a car or truck. By loaded, I mean full magazine with a bullet in the chamber. I have been told by several people, and a good friend that is a cop, that you can have the magazine loaded but no bullet in the chamber. I have been told you can NOT have a loaded magazine and the magazine must be seperate from the gun. I have even been told it must be in a case. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a hand gun? Do you really expect my wife to load a magazine, chamber a bullet, and fire the gun if its a life or death situation? Or do all of this after pulling the gun out of a case, for crying out loud?

Can someone please clarify and point me to somewhere I can see the law in black and white writing? I can't find anything that specifically talks about the gun being loaded and being in the console of a car. I know some of you will say "Just get a permit" and that is the plan. But can you still have a bullet chambered and a full magazine, even with a permit? I know there is a "gray area" here, but your input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be "Legal" until I get a permit. Thanks in advance for your help!

In Georgia, your vehicle is an extension of your home, which means carrying is not restricted in your own vehicle as long as you are legally able to possess firearms. You can have your gun loaded, chambered, concealed, or however you want to carry it, wherever you want to carry it, as long as it is your personal vehicle. I don't know how the law would view you driving your wife's vehicle or vice versa, probably no worries there though (disclaimer, I am not a lawyer).

If you are not the owner of the vehicle you must have that vehicle owner's permission AND not be ineligible for a carry permit.

From http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

Key words in GA. Cross state borders and all bet are off... Easy to forget you have a loaded weapon while driving to Destin.. Ask a buddy of mine...

I'm always game to hear stories....what happened to your buddy when he got stopped in FLA?

Saltyjig.....never trust the police, your bestfriend's cousin's uncle, your Father, etc. for legal advice. Google the CURRENT Georgia Law and READ it for yourself or consult www.georgiapacking.org.

BTW...JSquared is right on the money with the current laws on car carry without a permit.

Last edited:
I'm always game to hear stories....what happened to your buddy when he got stopped in FLA?

Saltyjig.....never trust the police, your bestfriend's cousin's uncle, your Father, etc. for legal advice. Google the CURRENT Georgia Law and READ it for yourself or consult www.georgiapacking.org.

BTW...JSquared is right on the money with the current laws on car carry without a permit.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I too, would like to hear the story about your buddy in FL.

MMatt30, that is why I posted here; to try to find out more about the law.

From the links/laws posted above, I still do not see anything that specifically talks about the gun being loaded with a bullet chambered in the car.

From the links/laws posted above, I still do not see anything that specifically talks about the gun being loaded with a bullet chambered in the car.

If no restrictions are spelled out in the law it is unrestricted. I would definitely suggest doing your own reading here though, the link I provided has all the info you need.

Back
Top Bottom