• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Check out this crock of .... from Gwinnett county

I had a similar instance years ago. I was arrested for speeding, and was bailed out within six hours. I immediately returned to the police department and requested the return of my firearm. I presented my DL and CWP. I was told that the firearm had not been "processed" yet and that I could not pick it up until it had been. I respectfully requested to speak with the Chief of Police. I then presented my credentials to him, and kindly explained that my weapon was for personal defense, and due to the specific requirements that my job at the time required me to carry allot of cash, it was very important that my weapon be returned promptly. The Chief told me that it was policy for the department to process the weapon prior to releasing it back to me, and the firearm was locked in an evidence locker that the arresting deputy had the keys for and it was his day off. I then calmly advised him that since I had presented him with my proper identification and weapons permit, his refusal to return my firearm to me was a violation of my constitutional right, and that I was going to step outside the building and immediately contact my attorney to advise him of the current circumstances I was faced with. The Chief asked me to take a seat in the lobby so that he could make a phone call to see what he could do, and I obliged. After a few minutes passed, he called me back into his office and told me that the officer would be on his way shortly to retrieve my firearm from the evidence locker and it would be returned to me. I thanked him for his cooperation, and made some small talk with the chief while I waited for the officer to arrive. When the officer saw me, he gave me a very harsh look, but spoke no words. I simply thanked him for coming up to release my firearm and left it at that.

I am glad it worked out for me, and I am sorry to hear your troubles... I would consider contacting an attorney to ask how to handle a situation like this in the future. Please post any helpful hints you would like to share to help educate all of us on how to properly handle such a situation in the future.

Last edited:
Suwanee PD gave me my pistol and mag (no ammo) but not a big issue. Was it Gwinnett PD or Gwinnett Sheriffs Dept not that it matters much they both suck.

Art, I understood what you said. I understand how the system works. Those who don't get upset quite easily, as I would if I didn't know how it works. I clearly undertand the issue about dinging guns together. The system is what you are upset about. Not the LEO. They are separate. One works for the system and the system controls the LEO and the population. The arrest was valid, although uncomfortable for your son, it was legal on the LEO part. Yes, paperwork problems abound. I would be upset if my gun got scratched also, for mishandling it. That would have been my biggest issue. Like inkdaddy said, talk to the boss, he is the one that can change those issues with appointment and evidence handling. Main thing was, you son told the officer he had guns, so when he arrested him on the warrrant, it wasn't a big suprise for the officer to deal with the gun issue...........

Now I understand where you're coming from.

Art, Your last post sounded so much better than your first post. I appreciate you coming back with the posts and getting the main issue straightened out. Stuff happens out there........and not knowing the answers is very frustrating. I would say this to everyone........when you get involved with the court system, and if you are given a fine.......do everything in your power to pay that fine the first time, Cause if you don't, your get put on probation till that fine is paid.........that as you know, can turn into a very uncomfortable time. Anything that goes on during that proabation period, causes two things. first a violation of probation (arrest and/or jail) and further extends probation time, not to mention that it falls back on the original fine/jail punishment. Pay the fine the first time, keeps stuff like this from happening.....................Still friends............................

I truly appreciate all the hard work from honest, non-power tripping law enforcement officers. I feel like their numbers are starting to decrease. Some of the arrogance displayed by LEO's and LEO supporters on the internet is disturbing, to say the least.

I am envious of you guys who got your stuff back with in a week, they kept mine (my dads I was 16 at the time) for a year and a half. When we got it back it had been etched with an evidence tag number. However mine had been used in a shooting so I understand why it took so long.

Back
Top Bottom