Do you support legalizing all NFA items for everyone?

Do you support legalizing all NFA items for everyone?

• Total voters
Congrats on the 3-4 anecdotal examples of fully automatic weapons used in the commission of crimes (presumably offered in support of the proposition that criminals can get FA weapons willy nilly.) The truth is, gents, that the numbers just don't bear out this proposition. In the state and federal prison systems, only 1.5% and 1.7% of offenders used a full auto or "military-style semiautomatic firearms" in the commission of the crime for which they were incarcerated. See http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf (I know, it's a 2001 study, so feel free to shock me with higher numbers if you can find more current data.) Note that these figures would also include semiauto ARs ("military-style semiautomatic firearms") and such, meaning that the numbers for machine guns only would be drastically lower.

So, the idea that criminals will obtain and use FA weapons whenever they get the itch to do so is simply not supported by the data. You all can argue this emotion-based proposition that United States criminals operate in a world with plentiful and cheap machineguns until you're blue in the face, but until you have actual data to back it up, it's just your own ipse dixit.

Just like 80% of the weapons used in mexico come from the US? Dont believe everything the government tells you sir.

Also data also shows that rifles are used in less than 2% of all gun crimes. Why are they so gung ho to get rid of those? I could create a study that supports scott's toilet paper wipes my ass the best. Id have a raw ass that proves other wise.

Last edited:
This question is a tough one for me because I don't know If I would agree that a Felon or severely mentally handicapped individual should be able to purchase NFA items. I guess I say no because of that but only because the question is too broad. I believe anyone who has the legal right to own a firearm (Non-Felon, mentally stable, etc) should have the right to own an NFA item without the hassle, but not just anyone.....if that makes sense.

Just like 80% of the weapons used in mexico come from the US? Dont believe everything the government tells you sir.

Also data also shows that rifles are used in less than 2% of all gun crimes. Why are they so gung ho to get rid of those? I could create a study that supports scott's toilet paper wipes my ass the best. Id have a raw ass that proves other wise.

It's awful convenient to be able to just dismiss the information based on its source where you have no contrary data (or at least none that you've had the good grace to share with us)-- like I said, this is Soviet ipse dixit. Moreover, why do you dismiss the data points I cite as lacking credibility and then RELY on other data from the same study to support your own point about rifles used in gun crimes?

I wish I owned each of those but I don't own any. I posted my reasoning behind why I voted "No" to a broad question.

I think that anyone who can legally own a firearm should be allowed to own an NFA item without the hassle but not just anyone (felons, etc). The question you asked is too open ended for me to answer "Yes".

Alright how many of you own a suppressor, a SBS, a FA, or a SBR?

It's awful convenient to be able to just dismiss the information based on its source where you have no contrary data (or at least none that you've had the good grace to share with us)-- like I said, this is Soviet ipse dixit. Moreover, why do you dismiss the data points I cite as lacking credibility and then RELY on other data from the same study to support your own point about rifles used in gun crimes?

It's also awfully convenient to make suppositions on how full auto rifles would change crime statistics, or what "expensive" means. My guess is it means something different to each of us.

It's awful convenient to be able to just dismiss the information based on its source where you have no contrary data (or at least none that you've had the good grace to share with us)-- like I said, this is Soviet ipse dixit. Moreover, why do you dismiss the data points I cite as lacking credibilty and then RELY on other data from the same study to support your own point about rifles used in gun crimes?

Im not relying on any data. The fact that you feel the government should be able to judge what I can and cant own when the 2nd amendment says I should , is in fact unfair. Its your opinion though. If you feel laws make your zone 3 safer then you need a wake up call. Only people like you and I follow laws.

I dont feel I should even have to pay for a permit to carry a pistol. Instead I have to jump through hoops and pay extra money when im taxed enough due to people like yourself who get a false sense of security from pointless laws. Next time you hear gunshots in your neighborhood , remind the shooter that its illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. See if it helps. Good luck to ya. Also do you own any class 3 items?

Congrats on the 3-4 anecdotal examples of fully automatic weapons used in the commission of crimes (presumably offered in support of the proposition that criminals can get FA weapons willy nilly.) The truth is, gents, that the numbers just don't bear out this proposition. In the state and federal prison systems, only 1.5% and 1.7% of offenders used a full auto or "military-style semiautomatic firearms" in the commission of the crime for which they were incarcerated. See http://bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf (I know, it's a 2001 study, so feel free to shock me with higher numbers if you can find more current data.) Note that these figures would also include semiauto ARs ("military-style semiautomatic firearms") and such, meaning that the numbers for machine guns only would be drastically lower. So, the idea that criminals will obtain and use FA weapons whenever they get the itch to do so is simply not supported by the data. You all can argue this emotion-based proposition that United States criminals operate in a world with plentiful and cheap machineguns until you're blue in the face, but until you have actual data to back it up, it's just your own ipse dixit.
Why aren't criminals using semiautomatic versions of these weapons in large numbers? They are not regulated by the NFA.

Back
Top Bottom