• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tell police you have a gun in the car?

Wow, there is a lot of hatred toward the police. How do you feel when someone tells you how to do "your job" or gives "you crap" at your job every single day? Now times that by 10 or 20 and how would you start feeling about what you do? I'm just saying give respect and you will get it back.

By all means, you will do what you think is right. Tell / don't tell thats your right. Me personally I will give a warning for GWL's, because if the *&^* hits the fan and there is a person with a GWL comes along and saves my life. I would be grateful the rest of my life, because you helped me to see my wife and son again.
its not a hatred of police

i think most folks realize police work for the government and not the people. thats the difference. as far as respect goes there are a bunch of good and bad officers but more the issue is how police in general are used in this country and there is a growing concern over the para-militarization of local law enforcement agencies.

couple the stupid amount of excessive tickets issued for "revenue generation" with abuse of authority, road blocks, no knock warrants, and tacticool operatorness alot of police sport its not a surprise most people (including myself) would view police more and more as a liability to their own personal well being than a benefit

i see a cop i dont think to myself good guys off the bat, i think i dont want to interact with them what so ever. its self preservation (not that they are after everyone but given how something could escalate i would just steer clear of them)

Wow, there is a lot of hatred toward the police. How do you feel when someone tells you how to do "your job" or gives "you crap" at your job every single day? Now times that by 10 or 20 and how would you start feeling about what you do? I'm just saying give respect and you will get it back.

By all means, you will do what you think is right. Tell / don't tell thats your right. Me personally I will give a warning for GWL's, because if the *&^* hits the fan and there is a person with a GWL comes along and saves my life. I would be grateful the rest of my life, because you helped me to see my wife and son again.

You will give a warning for GWL's? Do you think because they have a government permission slip to exercise a right they will automatically save your life? I would hope that all people would do the right thing. Do you think having a GWL makes someone more likely to save your life? As far as respect goes it is earned not given out. I for one will not tell a LEO how to do their job, but I will not have my rights violated. I try to be courteous to everyone. Oh and welcome to the site!

Brother, you'll learn real quick on here that ALL LEOs are nothing but autonomous govt agents. You will not convince them otherwise. And don't try to argue, because they know so much better having all been there. Bottom line... Don't feed the trolls please! You'll exhaust yourself. Trust me on this.

its not a hatred of police

i think most folks realize police work for the government and not the people. thats the difference. as far as respect goes there are a bunch of good and bad officers but more the issue is how police in general are used in this country and there is a growing concern over the para-militarization of local law enforcement agencies.

couple the stupid amount of excessive tickets issued for "revenue generation" with abuse of authority, road blocks, no knock warrants, and tacticool operatorness alot of police sport its not a surprise most people (including myself) would view police more and more as a liability to their own personal well being than a benefit

i see a cop i dont think to myself good guys off the bat, i think i dont want to interact with them what so ever. its self preservation (not that they are after everyone but given how something could escalate i would just steer clear of them)

That about sums it up. I harbor no hate towards them I just don't trust them. I have a friend that is cop and he is an awesome stand up guy but even he dislike's anything to do with other cops outside of a work setting.

Only been in that situation once. Handed him both my lic. and ccw and let him know. All he
did was ask where is it. Let me off with a warning. It was in the glove box not on me, that
may have had something to do with it.
Also, I know a lot of LEO's and I wouldn't want to surprise them if you know what I mean.
I've done that twice both times no ticket.

I'd rather not have some trigger happy noob blow my brains out the other window and get a week suspension, so I do not tell them I have a gun I just hand them my CC with my DL.

I have no strong opinion on this. Georgia law doesn't require you to disclose, of course.
If the cop is a jerk and he or she sees armed citizens as a threat, you'll be in trouble if you do disclose, but in even more trouble (danger of being shot or at least taken to the pavement at gunpoint) if you don't disclose and the officer discovers the weapon on his or her own.
The best scenario is to not disclose and the officer to never know about the gun. But some will ask. And while you don't have to answer a cop's questions, being "evasive" will likely prolong your detention, and lying will (if discovered) get you arrested for making false statements.

I've disclosed a few times, and only had one bad result. One officer took my gun and kept me on the side of the road for 20 minutes before returning my gun unloaded with the ammo in a plastic bag.
I've not disclosed a few times, and once the cop found the gun on his own and was cool about it.

You need to slow down a bit :D

I have no strong opinion on this. Georgia law doesn't require you to disclose, of course.
If the cop is a jerk and he or she sees armed citizens as a threat, you'll be in trouble if you do disclose, but in even more trouble (danger of being shot or at least taken to the pavement at gunpoint) if you don't disclose and the officer discovers the weapon on his or her own.
The best scenario is to not disclose and the officer to never know about the gun. But some will ask. And while you don't have to answer a cop's questions, being "evasive" will likely prolong your detention, and lying will (if discovered) get you arrested for making false statements.

I've disclosed a few times, and only had one bad result. One officer took my gun and kept me on the side of the road for 20 minutes before returning my gun unloaded with the ammo in a plastic bag.
I've not disclosed a few times, and once the cop found the gun on his own and was cool about it.

Back
Top Bottom