• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime?

Do you think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime?

• Yes, I think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • No, I don't think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime

Votes: 49 58.3%

• Total voters

Cigar Dave

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
I’m not asking about the morality (or use of this as punishment) as it would most likely wind up in the boiler room, but rather do you think capital punishment is a deterrent to crime (other than to the one being executed of course)?
Sorry if this has already been posted but I’m just curious what the opinion here is.

Well, it certainly deters THAT ONE. ;)

If punishment is "swift and sure" it is effective. Even capital punishment after 20 years on death row is not all that intimidating to other criminals.

I don't think it's a deterrent... the ones that will live long enough to actually get their punishment carried out are too young/dumb to think about the consequences and the others don't believe they are going to live long enough for the capitol punishment to catch up with them before they are dead anyways

It just takes too long to carry out the sentence... the process takes entirely too long

nope. With appeals, waiting times and odds of actually getting put to death. Id say no. Even in texas where they use it more than anybody... people still murder. Some people dont care if they live or die to start with. So , yeah id say "no".

Not in it's present state.. Now if the convicted was immediately lead out the back door and executed... I say yeah.... Actually I think we could make a ton of money in having an "Executioner" lottery. Win and be God for a day...

Back
Top Bottom