• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you waste ammo shooting paper or steel?

For me it's a hobby and it's fun to shoot the old guns and sometimes it's just fun to blast. Never been in a situation where someone was shooting at me so I guess I better practice peeing my pants...who am I kidding, I'm sure that part will come naturally in that situation.

I have only fired my primary weapons to test function. As long as they cycle and shoot true I'm fine. I don't wear my guns out shooting 500 rounds in a day like I did when I was a kid. I no longer feel the need to test my skills against inanimate objects.

So my firearms just sit oiled up and waiting for a day when they might be needed.

Yes I stack my ammo high and deep and my guns are new and pristine. Some say shooting is a perishable skill. I say I shoot as well today as I did when I first became proficient with firearms and I haven't fired a shot in well over a year.

What about you? You a sport shooter trying to beat a clock? A target shooter trying to beat a score?

Are you one of those guys who shoots paper all day and thinks that makes you more proficient @ ________?

Paper and steel don't shoot back and neither do deer and crows.

So why are you wasting ammo? Do you think it is fun sending dollar bills down range just because you can?

It's none of my business how you spend your time or money............ So that is not what this is about.

This is just something to think about.

iStock_15858030_XXXLARGE-1024x767-1040x340.jpg

I also piss excellence. ;)

I shoot mostly at Bull Eye range. Which, is paper targets. But, When get a new weapon I shoot all types of ammo to see how my new weapons handles different rounds, but since my Liberal friends are coming to my home from NYC, almost once a month, and they All want to shoot now, my Guns are getting enough range time, plus they buy me all new ammo for the rounds they shoot at the range.

I don't carry much anymore. I'm just not worried about it. If I know I'm going into a hostile environment (like downtown atlanta) I will carry. It is pretty quiet in my neck of the woods.

With all due respect. If that is the mindset, that explains the original post about shooting practice being a waste of money and is also the mindset of many that have been the victim of assault/crime, and the like. Its not uncommon to hear (after the attack) something like "its a safe area, nothing like this happens here." or "its pretty quiet in my neck of the woods. I never would have thought..." Granted, some areas are inherently more dangerous than others but carry is a mindset and way of life. Just like i wear my seatbelt all the time even if going 5 min away. Either do it ALWAYS or dont. You dont pick the day, time, and situation for it to go down, it picks you at any place and time. I have several friends that have their georgia weapons license and if something goes down, thats all they can whip out and wave around cuz they dont carry cuz they say they dont go anywhere that they really see a need to carry. Or they may carry "when the feel they should" (whatever that means.) i guess i watch different news and read different stories...

7b25f3a73d4372f9a1dd734a6b81ed2d.jpg

I spend more money on guns and ammo than I do anything else . I have the same set of clothes I’ve had for years . I live in Clayton county . I cheap out on anything and everything .... except my firearms and car . I know some folks who don’t make a year what I spend on range ammo.

Why? Why work so hard just to throw money into the dirt (literally ) ?

I’ll tell you why.... I enjoy it .

When I’m at the range shooting steel that is all I’m focusing and thinking about . Just hit that plate . That’s why i work so hard . I work 24/7 so that I can earn the right to go shoot them plates. Everyone should have a passion. Life is empty without one.

Back
Top Bottom