• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you waste ammo shooting paper or steel?

I don't shoot my rifles very much, but when I do I usually shoot .22lr because it is cheap, good practice, and lots of fun.

I do shoot my handguns much more often because I can always improve in that dept. And because I enjoy it. And because the chances of me having to use a handgun for SD are much greater than with my other guns. I have a young child and need to be as prepared as can be to defend him, if necessary.

I have a rule for every round I fire, I have to buy two rounds to replace it. I don't always follow my rule but I do it most of the time and have a good stash because of it.

I spend more money on guns and ammo than I do anything else . I have the same set of clothes I’ve had for years . I live in Clayton county . I cheap out on anything and everything .... except my firearms and car . I know some folks who don’t make a year what I spend on range ammo.

Why? Why work so hard just to throw money into the dirt (literally ) ?

I’ll tell you why.... I enjoy it .

When I’m at the range shooting steel that is all I’m focusing and thinking about . Just hit that plate . That’s why i work so hard . I work 24/7 so that I can earn the right to go shoot them plates. Everyone should have a passion. Life is empty without one.

Sounds like a Dillon 1050 would pay for itself in short order. Maybe even a Mark 7!

I shoot because I enjoy it. I don't see it as a waste of time or money. I shoot paper plates, paper targets, old pizza boxes, copier paper, etc. I have shot plenty of steel too. I enjoy it all.

The last few times I've gone to the range I have shot over 300 rounds of ammo. Pistol rifle shotgun. I handload and cast bullets, so 50 rounds of say.... .38 special is about 2 bucks a box. 50 rounds of .32 S&W-L is under 2 bucks. I don't see it as money wasted.

The guns I choose to carry I shoot often as well. I want to make sure they do what they need to do when they are needed. I also want to make sure I'm up to task when and if that time comes.

I burned through 100s of thousands rounds of ammo when I was a kid growing up, and doesn't include the pounds BBs and pellets that I went through.

I don't really feel the need to practice much anymore.

I don't believe that Bypass hasn't lost any of his shooting skills, from those years when he'd fire a particular gun several times per year for hundreds of rounds per range session, to now when he has guns he's NEVER fired, and others he hasn't touched in years.

That being said, the level of accuracy required to effectively use a gun in self defense isn't all that great.
Speed and smoothness of the draw and presentation is so much more important. Confident handling of the weapon, not fumbling with it or second-guessing how to operate its controls, is what really matters most.
Not the difference between getting Xs or 8s on the bullseye target.

I know my "first try" law enforcement qualification scores, back when I'd shoot once a year with the Sheriff's office for my DA's office weapons certification (required by the Prosecuting Attorney's Council, not O.C.G.A. law) were generally about 10 points lower than if I did it twice, and if I did a practice shoot of the same course ahead of time, then shot the qual twice, my last shoot would be 15+ points higher. I'd go from 280 to 299 or something like that.

Experience counts, but RECENT experience counts too!

Back
Top Bottom