• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does this carrier look properly staked to you pros?

VooDoo Innovations sells a BC with an integral gas key, machined as part of the overall carrier. Wonder why more folks aren't doing this? I own a couple of them and like them very much.

If I had to guess I would say that the cost to manufacture is high and you lose the ability to replace failures in either part while leaving the other. If my gas key fails, I can. Just bolt on a new one without having to replace the entire bcg.

I've never seen a gas key fail to the point it has to be replaced. I have seen quite a few come loose, however.

Not saying it can't happen, but I've never seen one that had to be replaced.

Got this back from the boys at aim:

Hello,

From the picture it looks good to me. All you want is slight contact on the fasteners.

Thanks,
joshua

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 9:55 AM, AIM Surplus<sales@aimsurplus.com> wrote:
i195.photobucket.com_albums_z272_romilayu_91d0de2ff79b9c7e69dc1dd0f1ac2abc_zpsb2a1c019.jpg

I wouldn't call it proper, but the recess for the screw heads are more than likely distorted enough that it will work just fine for semi-auto fire. If it were mine, I'd prefer it had a more "aggressive" staking job.

VooDoo Innovations sells a BC with an integral gas key, machined as part of the overall carrier. Wonder why more folks aren't doing this? I own a couple of them and like them very much.

Probably costs more, but CNC machining has made it practical in the last 20 years. AR15 lowers used to be $90... in 1993. But not anymore, I expect because of the computer controlled mills today.

You've got a LOT more experience than me, but I've never heard of one breaking either. It must be due to the cost-effective manufacturing techniques of nineteen sixty whatever.

Back
Top Bottom