• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does writing on a gun turn you off when buying?

I'm talking about factory engravings like word EQUINOX or HD on the slide of a Sig p238 as examples. Any problems with that?

Why? If that's what's on the gun then so be it. I don't think that's too big of a deal to most people. Maybe if you were after a classic pre-war looking 1911 you'd opt for the most spartan looking slide you could find, otherwise I don't think people care. The Ruger safety and legal billboard is a turn off to some folks, but if you want the gun and that's a deal breaker you are one anal sob.

Honestly I don't know why I'd even consider what some other people might prefer when I bought a gun anyway....unless I were selling them.

You mean like how my P229 says SigSauer P229 SAS on the side? Why would that bother anyone and why would it make it harder to sell? That's what it is just like the P238 Equinox is a P238 Equinox.

I am new to this hobby and buying a lot of different pistols to play with right now so I need to consider future re-sale potential while shopping. Someone told me to never buy a pistol with writing on it because buyers hate that and it may depreciate the value. For example I like the P238 Equinox and the HD models but both have the word on the slide. Would that keep anyone from wanting to buy this gun when I am ready to sell? Any opinions?

Wish they would tell Colt owners that....

image.jpg

Depends on what it says. If its factory for the model then that's fine. If it says "From Mom, I'll always love my little man" then I don't want it.

Sounds like you're describing some of the billboard type banners on 1911s.

^^^THIS^^^...Like the 1/2 inch tall "American Classic II" letters on those otherwise well done, attractive 1911's...Just don't like it. And like someone mentioned a few posts back, the legal disclaimers...But, if you like the gun, get it. Personally, on the 1911's I prefer absolutely NOTHING engraved in the slide. Put the serial number under the firing pin plate like Colt does(did).

Yeah, I almost didn't buy it because it says "Hardballer Longslide" on the slide...

Where's that /sarcasm/ button?

Your buddy gave you some very interesting advice. Maybe applicable to 0.0001% of buyers. As long as it came from the factory that way, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom