• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dreaded kimber question.

I shoot 1911s, including a 4" Kimber, regularly and have zero problems. For mags I use Kimber, Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick and my guns run fine with all of them. Good ammo, correct grip, and a firm wrist will likely solve your problems. Also, many 1911s like to run a bit on the wet side and I use Wilson Ultima Lube II on all of mine. A stainless gun needs more lube than a blued gun as stainless has a higher coefficient of friction than carbon steel.

Don't believe all the horror stories you hear. One disgruntled person will post their problems multiple times on every forum. Satisfied shooters tend to be quiet...

Saying you have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds through 1911's less than 5" implies that you have fired at least 200000 rounds through 1911's shorter than 5".

That's not what I meant...perhaps I should have just said many thousands. I didn't literally mean 100,000+...it's an expression. Switch to decaf. :thumb:

That's not what I meant...perhaps I should have just said many thousands. I didn't literally mean 100,000+...it's an expression. Switch to decaf. :thumb:

I can believe that. I don't drink coffee. :thumb:

That's the first time I have heard the phrase "hundreds of thousands" to mean much less than a hundred thousand. Damn kids today, they will be the death of the English language.

A proper grip is essential for proper operation. Before you practice a whole lot with an improper grip I would suggest seeking out an experienced 1911 shooter and learn/then practice with a good grip. It's difficult to write about proper technique but I shoot with my thumb on top of the safety, both thumbs pointing forward and most of the pressure on the gun is with my left hand, allowing my right hand to be somewhat relaxed for fast trigger operation.
That being said extraction problems can stem from a number of areas. I am not familiar with Kim-pro magazines but Wilsons are the magazines of choice for reliability. Inspect your mags and make sure the rounds are coming up smoothly and ejecting from the mag cleanly. Mark your mags and see if the problem only occurs with one mag. I assume you are shooting factory ammo and that shouldn't be an issue. Normally ammo problems lead to failure to feed problems. You can chamber check the ammo to be sure it drops in the chamber and falls out freely. Also be aware how and where the brass ejects, this will tell you how the ejector is working. Spring pressure will also effect where the brass lands when ejected. Finally the extractor can and should be "tuned" for reliable operation.

If you're ever in Hinesville and supply the ammo, you're welcome to shoot my Kimber all day long with Kimber mags and post the results...

A properly fitted 1911 doesn't require a break in period to function.

It's a load a crap sold by companies churning out a lot of pretty pistols.

I believe THIS is one thing that we can agree upon

- - - Updated - - -

A proper grip is essential for proper operation. Before you practice a whole lot with an improper grip I would suggest seeking out an experienced 1911 shooter and learn/then practice with a good grip. It's difficult to write about proper technique but I shoot with my thumb on top of the safety, both thumbs pointing forward and most of the pressure on the gun is with my left hand, allowing my right hand to be somewhat relaxed for fast trigger operation.
That being said extraction problems can stem from a number of areas. I am not familiar with Kim-pro magazines but Wilsons are the magazines of choice for reliability. Inspect your mags and make sure the rounds are coming up smoothly and ejecting from the mag cleanly. Mark your mags and see if the problem only occurs with one mag. I assume you are shooting factory ammo and that shouldn't be an issue. Normally ammo problems lead to failure to feed problems. You can chamber check the ammo to be sure it drops in the chamber and falls out freely. Also be aware how and where the brass ejects, this will tell you how the ejector is working. Spring pressure will also effect where the brass lands when ejected. Finally the extractor can and should be "tuned" for reliable operation.

This guy right here knows a thing or two bout 1911's

Back
Top Bottom