• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Employees Carrying Without CP At Work

xlilvi3tx

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
155   0
Reaction score
I've always been curious about this since I could not find a clear answer.

Let's say I own a business. I have employees that I would like for them to carry if they choose to do so at and during work hours. Can I legally allow them to carry or just to have only at my place of business, on my property if they choose to without a carry permit considering that they are perfectly legal to own firearms?

P.S: I read the whole thing on GeorgiaPacking.org but the way they worded it was confusing... lol

Last edited:
Their right to carry has nothing to do with you or your business. The only factor you contribute is whether you allow firearms inside your business or not. If they do not have a GWL, they are not allowed to conceal a firearm no matter if you give your blessing or not. If they are legally able to own a firearm, they can open carry all day without any permit (GWL) and as long as you allow it at your business. If you want them to conceal carry, they need a GWL.

Also, if you own a business, you'd be advised to get [paid] legal advice to protect yourself and your business from making any liability mistake. The Internet is great, but.......

You do not need a permit to carry at your home, car, or PLACE OF BUSINESS.
If you are not prohibited by law from possessing (see the definition under the "Possession" section at the top of this page) a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

I stand corrected. How does that work for most businesses that don't own the real estate? Can they still make that decision even though they have a land lord? Again, I think legal counsel would be best especially if there are other businesses and patrons around.

Their right to carry has nothing to do with you or your business. The only factor you contribute is whether you allow firearms inside your business or not. If they do not have a GWL, they are not allowed to conceal a firearm no matter if you give your blessing or not. If they are legally able to own a firearm, they can open carry all day without any permit (GWL) and as long as you allow it at your business. If you want them to conceal carry, they need a GWL.

Also, if you own a business, you'd be advised to get [paid] legal advice to protect yourself and your business from making any liability mistake. The Internet is great, but.......

i think there is some potential misinformation here... you need to specify that you cannot carry a firearm PERIOD without a GFL or the newer issued GWL aside from your home, car or place of business.

I know it was not your intention, but your post could be interpreted that as along as you open carry, you do not need a GFL or GWL

If they don't have a GWL, they cannot carry regardless if its open or concealed outside their home, vehicle, property, or PLACE OF BUSINESS. That "place of business" is what confuses me. Is that "place of business" referring to me as the business owner or a employee working for someone else. My actual question is if they do not have a GWL, are they allowed just to have it or carry on their body at MY place of business and/or property during working hours or not if I allow it?

You do not need a permit to carry at your home, car, or PLACE OF BUSINESS.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

I've already read that before I posted and like I stated, its the "place of business" part that gets me lol. Is it referring to the business/property owner or just a employee? Does that mean if I'm a bagger at Kroger, I can legally carry at work without a GWL even though I know I can get fired lol? Or must I be the owner so that I can carry without the permit?

I stand corrected. How does that work for most businesses that don't own the real estate? Can they still make that decision even though they have a land lord? Again, I think legal counsel would be best especially if there are other businesses and patrons around.

Exactly! This is why I ask these questions lol. No reason in particular but just out of curiosity when reading and seeing a potential gap.

i think there is some potential misinformation here... you need to specify that you cannot carry a firearm PERIOD without a GFL or the newer issued GWL aside from your home, car or place of business.

I know it was not your intention, but your post could be interpreted that as along as you open carry, you do not need a GFL or GWL

Actually, I really thought you could open carry without a GWL. I just remembered that I might be applying the long gun rule to handguns. So you can carry a long gun in the open without a GWL, but not a handgun? I have no desire to OC but I didn't think you needed a permit for it. I thought the permit was to "conceal".

Actually, I really thought you could open carry without a GWL. I just remembered that I might be applying the long gun rule to handguns. So you can carry a long gun in the open without a GWL, but not a handgun? I have no desire to OC but I didn't think you needed a permit for it. I thought the permit was to "conceal".

Regardless if its open carry or concealed, in GA you need a GWL for a handgun. Long guns you can open or conceal (lol) carry all day basically anywhere besides the 9 restricted places without a permit. If you don't have a permit and your long gun is loaded, it must be open carry. People just might think you be a little odd if you where to haul around a AK or AR everywhere you go though but its perfectly legal lol. Not to mention the idiot liberals and news stations gonna make it A LOT worse than it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom