• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Expedition or Ram 2500

SlowMotion

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
7   0
Reaction score
We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle before we start towing our boat again in the spring. The boat is a 23' deck boat and with trailer we are towing around 6000 lbs. We currently have a 2003 Sequoia that just isn't up to the task. I've been test driving stuff and have it narrowed down to either a Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 Cummins Diesel or an Expedition with heavy tow package & 3.5 Ecoboost. However, I'm open to any other ideas

Requirements:
Haul 3 kids (ages 6, 3, 2) comfortably and tow safely
Double as a daily driver (wifes commute is 5 miles but she feels the Ram is really big so I might be the one driving it 25 miles to the office)
Enough Payload capacity for the tongue weight of trailer, family of 5, and gear for weekend.
4x4

We are looking to upgrade our tow vehicle before we start towing our boat again in the spring. The boat is a 23' deck boat and with trailer we are towing around 6000 lbs. We currently have a 2003 Sequoia that just isn't up to the task. I've been test driving stuff and have it narrowed down to either a Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 Cummins Diesel or an Expedition with heavy tow package & 3.5 Ecoboost. However, I'm open to any other ideas

Requirements:
Haul 3 kids (ages 6, 3, 2) comfortably and tow safely
Double as a daily driver (wifes commute is 5 miles but she feels the Ram is really big so I might be the one driving it 25 miles to the office)
Enough Payload capacity for the tongue weight of trailer, family of 5, and gear for weekend.
4x4
So two/three car seats? And their stuff? You already know where that is going...

Looking at resale and fuel economy I would say the Dodge diesel. Plus expeditions haven't changed body styles in like 10+ years.

Yeah, I don't like that the body style of the Expy is so old. Ford did do some refreshing a couple years ago though which helped and rumor is the Expedition will receive an update with the 2018 model year. I would have to think those rumors are true since you are seeing $6000 off and 0% of 60 on 2017's.

Yeah but 6k off of a 50k SUV that has a body style a few years newer than Y2K isn't really that impressive. Chevy is offering 0% for 72 on most body styles at least twice a year now and most company ads are boasting 8-10k off msrp on trucks. I personally think that even the 6.4L Hemi in the 2500 will suit your needs well. Shoot, find a gas burner 2500 from Chevy, Ford, or Dodge that is 1-2 years old and save a fortune. For what you are looking to do a Tundra will more than do and last you 300k+ miles.

Your gas mileage with a gas burner will suck to put it lightly when pulling a boat. Fuel mileage on a Cummins will be about the same empty or loaded. I would buy a Ram 2500 Cummins 2-3 years old that has depreciated and save money.
I just bought a 2003 Ram 2500 in Fla. and driving it home running 75mph was getting 23.6mpg

For family needs, get the SUV. I've owned dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 mega cabs ever since they came out. I've run dodge 2500 diesels since 1997. Love my Dodge, but I have two kids and two car seats plus a booster would be tough in the back seat.

Back
Top Bottom