• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Franklin Arms short barreled firearm with rifle buttstock but no ATF paperwork?

neva-been-done-befo.jpg

How is the price of this Franklin Armory thing going to be compared to a regular AR with whatever upgrades you want, including SBR?

1-- Buy a regular AR for $500.
2-- SBR it for $200
3-- Don't forget passport photos, background check, and the cost of having the lower engraved as an SBR that you manufactured: $100
4-- Binary trigger: $400

So, that's $1200, and it's totally legal without question in most jurisdictions and isn't likely to be the subject of a reversal of approval by ATF (or by Congress closing the loopholes) in the future. And this $1200 gun would have a fully rifled barrel and would be legal with any upper you want to stick on it, regardless of length.
You don’t need to engrave your lower unless you plan on selling it as an SBR. If you manufacture and you’re the only owner and plan on either A. Keeping the weapon or B. Removing it off the registry before you sell then there is absolutely no need to engrave it. Saves a bit of time and hassle and doesn’t post your info all over your weapon

This is for lower receivers that are already manufactured and already contain a SN like your example.

If you build on an 80% lower you must engrave it to BATFE standards when you file a form 1

This is a common misconception

So they designed a rifle to shoot a round that was designed to be suppressed, but designed it in such a way that if you suppress the round you will almost certainly destroy your suppressor. They made all of the “demo” guns in 5.56 because “ammo is cheaper” and it can only get “about 3-4 moa” out of a little 55 grain pill. How poorly will it stabilize a big sub-sonic .300blk round? And if I have to buy the nerf football just to use it, it better at least be the nerf whistler. Those things were awesome.

You don’t need to engrave your lower unless you plan on selling it as an SBR. If you manufacture and you’re the only owner and plan on either A. Keeping the weapon or B. Removing it off the registry before you sell then there is absolutely no need to engrave it. Saves a bit of time and hassle and doesn’t post your info all over your weapon

This is for lower receivers that are already manufactured and already contain a SN like your example.

If you build on an 80% lower you must engrave it to BATFE standards when you file a form 1

This is a common misconception

Where did you hear this? I've literally never read this anywhere.

So they designed a rifle to shoot a round that was designed to be suppressed, but designed it in such a way that if you suppress the round you will almost certainly destroy your suppressor. They made all of the “demo” guns in 5.56 because “ammo is cheaper” and it can only get “about 3-4 moa” out of a little 55 grain pill. How poorly will it stabilize a big sub-sonic .300blk round? And if I have to buy the nerf football just to use it, it better at least be the nerf whistler. Those things were awesome.
Here, sir. Have an "internet." You've won it...on this day.

Every single person I know with an SBR has had it engraved and I've never seen anything saying it doesn't need to be engraved unless it was a factory SBR. That is the only exception I'm aware of.
I agree, says manufacturer. It doesnt say when it needs to be done, just that it needs to be done. Been awhile since I reviewed the regs though.

The rep in the vid said 4-5 MOA.

Back
Top Bottom