• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Campus Carry

This bill passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday evening. Goes to Rules, and then hopefully to the Senate floor for a vote. It has been amended.

This bill passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday evening. Goes to Rules, and then hopefully to the Senate floor for a vote. It has been amended.

Yep, they added an amendment that you can't carry into any building that has classes for high school students. If it passes, and if our fool governor signs it, you are going to see a whole lot buildings that have classes for high school students.

The logic behind this is incredible (not) -- it's o.k. to allow conceal weapons licensees to offer some protection to college students, but HS students (and college students in the same buildings) are on their own.

Yep, they added an amendment that you can't carry into any building that has classes for high school students. If it passes, and if our fool governor signs it, you are going to see a whole lot buildings that have classes for high school students.

The logic behind this is incredible (not) -- it's o.k. to allow conceal weapons licensees to offer some protection to college students, but HS students (and college students in the same buildings) are on their own.
A lot of colleges already have classes that include HS students. It's called Dual Enrollment and is becoming extremely popular among HS students since they fulfill HS course requirements while receiving college credit.

This amendment was obviously not thought through. Last year Deal wanted the bill to exclude preschool student areas...Now he wants to exclude areas that contain HS students? It never ends...

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

A lot of colleges already have classes that include HS students. It's called Dual Enrollment and is becoming extremely popular among HS students since they fulfill HS course requirements while receiving college credit.

This amendment was obviously not thought through. Last year Deal wanted the bill to exclude preschool student areas...Now he wants to exclude areas that contain HS students? It never ends...

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

I know all about colleges have dual enrollment. So do the technical schools.

What I'm saying is that with the opposition of the college administrations to campus carry, I'm sure they will make sure there are HS in every building.

Again, along the lines of fuzzy thinking, a lot of HS students participate in work study, internships, or "shadowing" projects in the private sector. Those are pet projects to make the functional illiterate kids "work ready." What protects those little dears from the threats from the real world.

Our local PD used to have a Jr. police academy (just don't know if it's still going on).

Just saying but more HS students have been injured or killed in school bus accidents in the last two years than have been shot to death on campuses.

This is a poison pill added that was supposed to stop the bill in it's tracks. If ends up making it to deal's desk, he's still going to veto it. He won't have a leg to stand on to justify it as his every poisonous request will have been met, but that won't stop him. The bor owns him and they DO NOT want campus carry to any extent.

This is a poison pill added that was supposed to stop the bill in it's tracks. If ends up making it to deal's desk, he's still going to veto it. He won't have a leg to stand on to justify it as his every poisonous request will have been met, but that won't stop him. The bor owns him and they DO NOT want campus carry to any extent.

I don't know the current politics clearly but I do understand why a bar met, then keeps getting pushed farther away means.

What a complete jack hole and his Casey Gagel both deserving of a decent throat punching.

Well, the Senate may have messed itself up.

Here is the current provision regarding HS students.

[Campus carry shall]
"(iii) Not apply to any specialized school for high school students as described in
paragraph (5) of subsection (b) of Code Section 20-4-37;"

Here is O.C.G.A. Section 20-4-37(b)(5)

"5) "College and career academy" means a specialized charter school established by a partnership which demonstrates a collaboration between business, industry, and community stakeholders to advance workforce development between one or more local boards of education, a private individual, a private organization, or a state or local public entity in cooperation with one or more postsecondary institutions and approved by the State Board of Education in accordance with Article 31 of Chapter 2 of this title or the Georgia Charter Schools Commission in accordance with Article 31A of Chapter 2 of this title."

So as presently written, the HS exception to campus carry only applies to charter schools, and not to joint enrollment courses at colleges and university. There may be a "college and career academy" on some campus in Georgia, but in general this amendment will have limited impact on "campus carry."

If there is a serious flaw, it's that no notice of the special status of the institution (charter school) is required.

I hate how complicated this bill is. ***But** it's much better than the current state of the law.

I'd rather have a bill that creates several pro-carry friendly areas on campus while leaving several other areas off-limits than to have the entire campus off-limits to any GWL holder.

Today I did call my own senator, and the two other senators who are the chair and vice chair of the Senate rules committee. I asked them all to support this bill.

I hate how complicated this bill is. ***But** it's much better than the current state of the law.

I'd rather have a bill that creates several pro-carry friendly areas on campus while leaving several other areas off-limits than to have the entire campus off-limits to any GWL holder.

Today I did call my own senator, and the two other senators who are the chair and vice chair of the Senate rules committee. I asked them all to support this bill.

Heaven forbid a GGO member see's you post that....they'll be screaming for your balls to be cut off, barbecued and fed back to you. I agree with you, an incremental win is still a win. The poison pill that was just added can be removed next year when its proven that there'll be no shootouts in the common areas..

Back
Top Bottom