• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting started

I started with and still have an RCBS Rock Chucker press. I still use it all the time for case prep and anything i'm not loading 100+ rounds at a time. if you are looking for a beginner book, try the Lee reloading book, it's got lots of beginner friendly "how to" info. Also the Lyman book is good as it's got lots of load info, not just their own bullets/powder/etc. Lee dies are good for the money and a good way to start. i'd suggest getting the sets that have the "factory crimp die" included as it's a good way to start.

as for the 223, I am happy with Varget powder, it works well with most weight bullets, and seems to meter fine so far. I don't reload 45ACP but i'm sure someone will chime in.

I actually prefer reddot for 45 acp. Its a good consistant cheap clean powder that meters fairly consistantly. Smells great too.

I've been using a Dillon 550 for about 10 years now. If I had it to do all over again, I would have purchased a 650. I don't tweak or experiment with loads. I have been using the same load for quite some time, so it's more to produce my own personal factory brand of ammo for me. :)

Going slow is very good advice. When I first started loading, I double-charged a .38 case while working up loads. When I went to test for accuracy, I thought I had blown my hands off. I thank the good Lord that I was using a L-frame S&W and not a K frame, or I believe I might have blown the gun up. Go slow, be methodical, check, double check, triple check. If there is ANY doubt, dump the powder and start over.

Wheeler

thanks for all the good advise i will put it to good use i hope to be able to get set up by next week and will be back on here many more times and asking lots more questions

I just ordered a lee 50th aniv. kit 119.00 and 45acp and 223 dies, i need to know what powder to use and dies to order if anyone can help don't want to order stuff i don't need. I'm also online looking for best price on bullets and brass. Thanks for any help.

As for powder, like the presses, most are going to recommend whatever they use. Read your books, and watch other boards as to what other folks like, and why they like their particular choice. When I'm loading for my AR 15's I likely use H335, W748, or some other ball powder that meters like water. That's because I ain't weighing every charge when I'm loading that kind of volume. If I'm loading for a bolt rifle, I may use something entirely different, because I'm loading precision and weighing each charge anyway. By the way, I use mostly W748 for my precision .223 loads too. As for the 45ACP, again more choices apply. The biggest being choices are powder type, ball, flake, ect. and burn rate for your desired bullet weights and velocity. I use a Lee Auto Disk with Lee powder through expander on all my handgun loads. This system works great for me. I like HP 38, and Universal for most of my autoloaders because it meters great and gives exceptional accuracy. Neither or these powders will deliver top velocities in many calibers, so I use Accurate #5, Longshot, Accurate #7 for heavier loads. You'll enjoy loading because you can tailor your load to just what you want or need. Holler anytime, we handloaders love to share, and talk loading, most of us are really great folks, (modest to a fault) but there's always gonna be one or two "know it all" A' holes in every crowd. Welcome to the crowd, Chuckdog.

here is the pic I hope this time
i52.tinypic.com_358b7r6.jpg

I just ordered a lee 50th aniv. kit 119.00 and 45acp and 223 dies, i need to know what powder to use and dies to order if anyone can help don't want to order stuff i don't need. I'm also online looking for best price on bullets and brass. Thanks for any help.

.45acp I use Unique and W231

.223 Varget

+1 on the bench it looks very useful and has some decent storage space but to echo rbstern how thick it the table top where you will mount your press.

Back
Top Bottom