• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guess what I saw at Academy Sports...

To the question of why Academy would start selling Hi Point handguns:

1.) I expect that the staff there are not the most knowledgeable or well-read, or experienced, with defensive handguns, so they don't know how to upsell a customer who expresses interest in a cheap handgun.

2.) Even people who can afford $800 Kimbers and H&K's may not understand the extra performance, extra margin of reliability, and the more pleasant shooting experience at the range that a quality gun will give them. A complete novice customer who walks into gun store (or big box sports store) and says: "I need a gun for home and vehicle defense. I'm not a gun guy. I don't intend to become a serious shooter and member of a gun range. I just need something to buy, test, and put away "just in case." THAT KIND OF CUSTOMER may think that the $175 gun is just as good as the $675 gun, especially when they're chambered for the same rounds (9mm, .40, .45).

Wealthy people don't like to waste money. If nobody explains how a $500 gun is better than a $200 gun, they might just buy the $200 gun and figure by saving that extra $300, they can take their spouse to the day spa and get his-and-her massages next weekend.

P.S. A Hi-Point pistol isn't a terrible choice for home defense. Its main weakness is the type of action-- single action semi-auto.
I would not store one of those cocked and locked, nor would I recommend any newbie store any handgun that way, even the best quality J.M.B. (blessed be his name; peace be upon him) designed 1911 or P35 Hi Power.

But the HiPoint that I fondled at a gun store several years ago had an ergonomic grip (not as fat and clunky as the big boxy slide would suggest), a very good set of sights (with white and orange dots/ lines), held "enough" ammo (8 rounds of 9mm, I think?), and came with a tactical accessory rail and a cheap laser unit (which I think is great for home defense in low light conditions).
All for $150 or so, at that time.

1.) I expect that the staff there are not the most knowledgeable or well-read, or experienced, with defensive handguns, so they don't know how to upsell a customer who expresses interest in a cheap handgun.

2.) Even people who can afford $800 Kimbers and H&K's may not understand the extra performance, extra margin of reliability, and the more pleasant shooting experience at the range that a quality gun will give them. A complete novice customer who walks into gun store (or big box sports store) and says: "I need a gun for home and vehicle defense. I'm not a gun guy. I don't intend to become a serious shooter and member of a gun range. I just need something to buy, test, and put away "just in case." THAT KIND OF CUSTOMER may think that the $175 gun is just as good as the $675 gun, especially when they're chambered for the same rounds (9mm, .40, .45).

Wealthy people don't like to waste money. If nobody explains how a $500 gun is better than a $200 gun, they might just buy the $200 gun and figure by saving that extra $300, they can take their spouse to the day spa and get his-and-her massages next weekend.

P.S. A Hi-Point pistol isn't a terrible choice for home defense. Its main weakness is the type of action-- single action semi-auto.
I would not store one of those cocked and locked, nor would I recommend any newbie store any handgun that way, even the best quality J.M.B. (blessed be his name; peace be upon him) designed 1911 or P35 Hi Power.

But the HiPoint that I fondled at a gun store several years ago had an ergonomic grip (not as fat and clunky as the big boxy slide would suggest), a very good set of sights (with white and orange dots/ lines), held "enough" ammo (8 rounds of 9mm, I think?), and came with a tactical accessory rail and a cheap laser unit (which I think is great for home defense in low light conditions).
Can't tell if your knocking or giving good reviews of hi point...if I was going to buy a peice of plastic it would be the cheaper plastic(hi point)....if I wanted to buy a 500.00 roller pistol it would be of highest quality for the 500.00 hence a metal gun.....I've owned a few hi points,and other than being a little heavy I saw no functionable problems....they went bang with every pull of the trigger even with the cheapest ammo I could put threw them...some people can only afford what they can afford...

I have owned (2) Hi-P's ( yo ) . I sold the (almost) 3 pound 45 and I never had an issue with it other than when I lifted it out of its paper bag gun case at the range it always got a laugh. I wouldn't trust my life on it but it better than nothing...
I still have the 380 an it is designated as a backup, backup truck gun...
that is where it stay, yo...

I have owned (2) Hi-P's ( yo ) . I sold the (almost) 3 pound 45 and I never had an issue with it other than when I lifted it out of its paper bag gun case at the range it always got a laugh. I wouldn't trust my life on it but it better than nothing...
I still have the 380 an it is designated as a backup, backup truck gun...
that is where it stay, yo...
What it is,what sec you wit?....lol

You are right on point as far as wealthy people. I know more than one that has had their business phone and power turned off during business hours just because they hate paying up until they absolutely have to. Kinda reminds me of a report I read years ago about what most millionaires drive. It wasn't Mercedes or BMW etc. It was F series Ford trucks. But that just showed that most millionaires are pretty smart.
I still haven't owned or fired a Hi Point. But after watching all the reviews and torture test videos I plan to own at least one. Hopefully I will get the C9 and then the 995 Carbine to go with it. Yeah I'm queer for pistol caliber carbines. All that being said I still like the looks and features of the Jiminez JA9 a lot better. But that's another rant.
The way I see it Academy selling Hi Points is all positive. I know that they aren't the ideal pistol for any situation. But they're kinda like Eastwood told the Asian kid in Gran Torino. He handed him duct tape channel locks, vice grips etc and told him he could fix most problems with those basic tools. And all the other stuff you just acquire over the years.

Back
Top Bottom