Gun serial check at Lawrenceville Police Dept.

Apparently states govt own first 10 feet of the property, because "They can take it if they need to expand the road." But it seems states vary on requiring the private property owner to request the officer to move or if a No Tresspassing sign is not present already, kind of like a sign that has to be stating you "Will Be Towed" if you leave your car over night.

they should be willing to protect a law abiding citizen from purchasing a stolen firearm and possibly facing criminal actions

He had already purchased the gun. If indeed it was stolen, there would have been prima facia evidence to arrest him on the spot for theft by receiving stolen property. That is the worst case scenario.

Even if common sense prevailed and they didn't arrest a guy who seemingly had no intent to do wrong (the opposite actually), they would have had to seize the gun as recovered property, and the guy would be out the money and the pistol.

Nothing says either of the above have to be done with a gruff demeanor.

I occasionally have people contact me about running numbers prior to a purchase. I explain that I have to physically have the item in my presence as if it hits on GCIC, I will have to seize it. When there is a hit, a notice is sent immediately to the agency that entered the item, and not having the item is a no go. It's a lose your agency's access to GCIC/NCIC type of no go.

Apparently states govt own first 10 feet of the property, because "They can take it if they need to expand the road." But it seems states vary on requiring the private property owner to request the officer to move or if a No Tresspassing sign is not present already, kind of like a sign that has to be stating you "Will Be Towed" if you leave your car over night.

The public R/W is usually a certain distance from the center of the road. R/W's are usually 40, 50, 60, 100, etc feet. Usually this extends 10 to 12 feet off the back of curb. Usually to just passed utility poles, boxes or hydrants. It's not that they own the first 10 feet of your property, your property does not start until here.

The public R/W is usually a certain distance from the center of the road. R/W's are usually 40, 50, 60, 100, etc feet. Usually this extends 10 to 12 feet off the back of curb. Usually to just passed utility poles, boxes or hydrants. It's not that they own the first 10 feet of your property, your property does not start until here.

The power poles are on an easement, it's still your property, but you allow the power company to put up poles. If you do not maintain it, they will.

The right of way for a road can vary as you stated, which is usually measured from the centerline, but on some rural roads, it's the top of the grade and the bottom of the fill, which is usually the road and whatever ditch or bank it includes.

Back
Top Bottom