• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun serial check at Lawrenceville Police Dept.

Had a GSP tell me also that they "Had to have the it "in hand" to run it, ...in case it was hot."
But from what I've heard, they just take the gun to the rightful owner if it was hot because you were trying to do the right thing. Would they ask for your paper work, computer trail etc, ...don't know, the officer never even took my Leagal ID and Permit from my hand as I was holding it for him to grab and inspect when we began.

One more time: when a serial number is run on GCIC/NCIC, and it "hits" on the data base, an alert is sent immediately to the agency that entered the item on GCIC/NCIC. The agency that ran the item must do a recovery. All of the paperwork and appropriate entries to the system must be made. This is audited. GCIC comes to agencies and pulls files and checks to make sure that all of this is done.

I'm not relying on "what I have heard". I'm posting from first hand experience and knowledge.

If you see my above post, this does not necessarily mean that a person is arrested.

GCIC/NCIC, for the purposes of items, is nothing more than a database of items that have been entered as stolen. Items can't be entered onto GCIC without a serial number. When an item is checked on GCIC, it is simply a query of the database. A "hit" is simply that number having been entered as stolen. If there is no "hit", then that number isn't in the database. If an item is run and doesn't "hit" there is no reason for any further entry or paperwork. So, there was no need for the officer to enter your personal information into the system. Not only that, there is no mechanism for doing so as the item was not in the system. They could make a note of it on their local CAD, but again, the item was not stolen.

SLED doesn't use GCIC. ;)

I never suggested as much (I assume you are kidding, I hope)......simply referencing the ease of running state/or NCIC databases to "check" verify a firearm is not listed as stolen.

D. Stolen Gun File:
1. Serial number of gun;
2. NCIC number.

;)

So I show up today at the station, on my way back from shooting, with Ga driver license and matching CW Carry permit, go up to the front desk and question the lady about directions to get a serial # checked on a recent gun purchase. ...and I purposely waited a few weeks to give ample time for someone to report it "IF" it was hot. I bought it from a CWP holder so I felt confident as they had said, that it was a Clean firearm. So back to story, the lady looks at me and says, no kidding btw, she says "I don't think we do that here." ......LMFAO!!!!I'm thinking "WTF is going on in THIS place, YOU ARE the Freakin' Police azzhat!!!What, ...you want me to truck on down to the local library, FML!!!"Although I didn't say it, it was in my mind and I didn't want to stir the serial # look up check in case it was hot, but D@mn REALLY?!!! So then she directs me to a phone to call the clerk and yada, yada. Then the officer shows up, I politely introduce myself to the officer and reach out and shook his hand with ALL my ID creds in the other hand, he looks down with a smirk and begins to give a dismiss look like it's all fake and says, Where's the gun?? Then we go out to my car and he pulls his cruiser over and I hand him the "Already slid open slide" gun and he begins to look over it. Does his thorough check and visual inspection, computer check yada, yada from his patrol car and hands it back, and says "Here." So I say, "It's good, right??" Officer says "Yeah." So I then say, to start a pleasant conversation... "Thank you for your time of Serving and Protecting, cause my dad served 15 yrs with various demartments in Georgia back in the day." He remained cold and said one word "Yup" ....You know, for someone trying get the serial # check the right way, I sure felt wanting more from the Lawrenceville Police Dept. But this reminds me of two weeks prior while in a gun store, here come 3 of the Lawrenceville's finest and I begin to "Thank them for there service" ...and then I asked one or two of them about a couple carry laws of legally having and traveling with a compensator. They answered my question but with a non-pleasant attitude and just very unfriendly. So all this being said, are they all just pissed off so much from sitting on the side of the road and issuing tickets all day long?? I hear that's the way it is in these parts, but really, I see them parked on Private Property beside mail boxes in between peoples houses, is that even Legal, Private property radaring on someone's land????Someone with better knowledge of that Law, would you please chime in???Also very glad my dad is no longer a cop in this day and age, just might be ashamed.*side note, ... I'm thinking of going into a few guns stores and buying a few AK-47's and showing back up there evey week just to run the serial #'s, we'll see just how non-friendly Legal Carrying citizens are treated there.....or maybe it's just in the Lawrenceville water, ...hint, hint.
And posting here is better than a complaint at his bosses desk, HOW?

I never suggested as much (I assume you are kidding, I hope)......simply referencing the ease of running state/or NCIC databases to "check" verify a firearm is not listed as stolen.

D. Stolen Gun File:
1. Serial number of gun;
2. NCIC number.

;)

It was partially in jest, but also, I have no idea what rules are for such things in SC. As I have a 911 center/GCIC terminal under my supervision, I am aware of what the rules are in GA.

....or maybe it's just in the Lawrenceville water, ...hint, hint.

I'm guessing you're joking, but I'll bet you've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with Lawrenceville (city) utilities. Like the DMV, though they trust you less. Not quite as much of a PITA as the true idiots in Dekalb (the identity thieves in training), but you have to go in person, during work hours. In 2014. They don't take credit cards. In 2014. I expect that from the incompetents in Dekalb, but Lawrenceville is Gwinnett, and Gwinnett's mostly efficient and competent. Except for Lawrenceville city, anyway.

Study-up, buttercup! That's not their job, it's just a "marketing' phrase some PDs have painted on their cars. Arguably, it should be their job but it simply just isn't.

Look up Warren v. District of Columbia and Public Duty Doctrine.

You sound like a nice guy who is interested in being an appreciative citizen so don't take this the wrong way, but it seems as though you may have frequent voluntary encounters with LEO/PD. There's a good chance they may consider you a little "off" if you're approaching frequently to fawn over them.

If you're that interested you should go through academy and get on the force instead of being some sort of (perceived) attention-seeking strange groupie who wants to set up rotating schedules for serial checks at all the PDs.

Write and call into your elected officials and tell them you want a system like the Florida Crime Center's public access system to run serial numbers http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

Yes I have heard of the Florida set up, one would think with all the security checks we have and thought to be needed in this day and age, it would be available for the legal public across the united states. As far as being friendly to ones serving and talking with them, because I've had a few relatives serve, is a very natural respect for what they do. Being distant, non-friendly and cold to the ones they protect and serve is a living stereotype brought upon the actions of a majority. And normally these days the majority rules. However, I personally know not everyone acts this way and these were random and "Separate Officers", so there was "No Multiple Perception" of an overly barren, nice guy talking to them :tea:
....and Thank You for your service as well, I also need one more gun checked that I want go keep, are you willing to help me :usa:

Last edited:
Lawrenceville Police Department employees are the highest paid law enforcement agency in the state of Georgia what the hell did you expect ? Do not get me wrong my dad served for 27 years I have the up most respect for all officers but , Lawrenceville for some reason chaps my ass every time I look their way.

Back
Top Bottom