• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun serial check at Lawrenceville Police Dept.

He had already purchased the gun. If indeed it was stolen, there would have been prima facia evidence to arrest him on the spot for theft by receiving stolen property. That is the worst case scenario.

Even if common sense prevailed and they didn't arrest a guy who seemingly had no intent to do wrong (the opposite actually), they would have had to seize the gun as recovered property, and the guy would be out the money and the pistol.

Nothing says either of the above have to be done with a gruff demeanor.

I occasionally have people contact me about running numbers prior to a purchase. I explain that I have to physically have the item in my presence as if it hits on GCIC, I will have to seize it. When there is a hit, a notice is sent immediately to the agency that entered the item, and not having the item is a no go. It's a lose your agency's access to GCIC/NCIC type of no go.

That is why you can call to have the numbers run before or after a purchase?

That is why you can call to have the numbers run before or after a purchase?

The number should not be run over over the phone. Again, the item should be in hand (in the hand of the person running the numbers).

How is the item going to be seized if it hits with the numbers being run over the phone?

As far as attitudes many officers are trained to not get involved in small talk or act like someone's friend while on duty because people can turn weird in a split second.
I remember riding along with a cop for two weekends straight chumming it up and all.....thought I kinda bonded with the guy.....talking guns and chicks and things.
I met him again at a police checkpoint and he acted like he never saw me before in his life as he asked for my license.
I mentioned to him I rode along with him a couple weeks ago and he totally ignored me with a frown on his face....LOL.

I did not get all but hurt because I knew he was only doing his job.

Study-up, buttercup! That's not their job, it's just a "marketing' phrase some PDs have painted on their cars. Arguably, it should be their job but it simply just isn't.

Look up Warren v. District of Columbia and Public Duty Doctrine......

(it should be their job but it simply just isn't.) Xzackly correct Analogue.

(it should be their job but it simply just isn't.) Xzackly correct Analogue.

Well said,
....you know, this reminds me everytime I walk into the locker room and many of my teammates do not take time to sign autographs after the game, much less before a game. I've always made time to do it before a game and after a game, very rare I do not allocate the time because of restricted time. There is a responsibility that comes with any profession, whether it be minor or insignificant to others, it can be the key ingredient to overall social perception and interaction among the population and community. Every job has civil and social responsibilities that's not on listed your job application :thumb:

Last edited:
Why isn't there a national data base for stolen guns? seems like a no-brainer.

because the authorities are not interested in keeping guns off the street, they are interested in catching people and building cases

disinformation or no information is power when the other player has all the cards

Back
Top Bottom