• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Handgun for a Woman

If the lady will take the time to learn to use it and and practice occupationally - The S&W EZ 380 or 9mm

If she is just not the type who will practice enough to remember how to use an autoloader, then the largest double action revolver she will actually carry in 38 Special. Make sure she can pull the double action trigger without difficulty and teach her how to shoot it without cocking it.

If the OP is even following this thread 9 pages later, here is a consideration:

For defensive purposes, the ability or lack thereof to rack the slide should not override other considerations such as selecting a cartridge reasonably effective at disabling an attacker. (Something in the 9mm, .38, 32 H&R mag spectrum would be my advice.)

Reloading during a defensive encounter virtually never happens. The vast majority of encounters are over after one or two shots, sometimes 3. Yes, malfunctions could happen requiring a slide rack, but again, the likelihood of firing a round, having a malfunction, having to clear it and fire a second round before the encounter is over is probably statistically extremely small.

“What about practice?” You’ll say. “She’ll have to reload plenty then!”
Yes.
If the OP is buying her a gun, I find it probable that she wouldn’t go to the range without him or her(Sorry, I don’t want to assume OP is a man)
If they go to the range together, OP can assist her with reloading.

“Oh, but what about initial load? You’ll reply. “You don’t expect an elderly woman to leave a loaded pistol on the nightstand do you?”

Get a gunvault style wall mounted safe that opens quickly and keep the gun loaded and ready to go, locked securely but ready to go at a moments notice.

Remember everyone, we’re not trying to make a 72 year-old sheep into a sheepdog, we’re just trying to sharpen her teeth.

Unless granny is looking forward to becoming a serious practitioner, what time she has to dedicate to training is best spent split between doing some general practice with the fundamentals, and then reading the law and defensive encounters to learn the behavioral side.
Preparing the hardware without preparing the mind is stupid and dangerous. Not that anyone suggested it, but this entire conversation has been dominated by hardware, so it needed to be said.

If the OP is even following this thread 9 pages later, here is a consideration:

For defensive purposes, the ability or lack thereof to rack the slide should not override other considerations such as selecting a cartridge reasonably effective at disabling an attacker. (Something in the 9mm, .38, 32 H&R mag spectrum would be my advice.)

Reloading during a defensive encounter virtually never happens. The vast majority of encounters are over after one or two shots, sometimes 3. Yes, malfunctions could happen requiring a slide rack, but again, the likelihood of firing a round, having a malfunction, having to clear it and fire a second round before the encounter is over is probably statistically extremely small.

“What about practice?” You’ll say. “She’ll have to reload plenty then!”
Yes.
If the OP is buying her a gun, I find it probable that she wouldn’t go to the range without him or her(Sorry, I don’t want to assume OP is a man)
If they go to the range together, OP can assist her with reloading.

“Oh, but what about initial load? You’ll reply. “You don’t expect an elderly woman to leave a loaded pistol on the nightstand do you?”

Get a gunvault style wall mounted safe that opens quickly and keep the gun loaded and ready to go, locked securely but ready to go at a moments notice.

Remember everyone, we’re not trying to make a 72 year-old sheep into a sheepdog, we’re just trying to sharpen her teeth.

Unless granny is looking forward to becoming a serious practitioner, what time she has to dedicate to training is best spent split between doing some general practice with the fundamentals, and then reading the law and defensive encounters to learn the behavioral side.
Preparing the hardware without preparing the mind is stupid and dangerous. Not that anyone suggested it, but this entire conversation has been dominated by hardware, so it needed to be said.

He hasn't been on since the day he posted the question....

Things like this pop up every so often just to stir the pot rather than look for any advice. It's fun debating it, but it's futile.

For the female who wants a personal firearm but will most likely not practice or use it very often, a J frame .38 revolver is the way to go. It has nothing to remember about, ie. safety, mag, round loaded, mag empty, working the slide. The old detective special was popular for a reason and that is it is foolproof and will work if it is loaded. Most elderly women will never use one but if needed it is just aim and pull. If the trigger pull is too much then cocking the hammer will take care of that issue. I have many of both but my go-to gun is my J frame .357. From what I can tell, most people will never empty any gun in a life-threatening situation. Five or six shots will be enough for most encounters.

My wife is 74 and has arthritis and she has a problem racking an auto so a revolver is best for her. I am hunting a 32 which I believe is the best caliber for her. A rimfire has a harder trigger pull for her because it has to hit the shell harder. So I believe she can use a double-action 32 ok. Right now I have a single action 22 revolver for her loaded with mags, she can cock it ok, and then the trigger pulls very easily.

My 68 year old grandmother used to use a 357. Tuck under little jacket are cover what ever them things are called that elder woman use that goes over there shoulders she had it in a shoulder holster. That gun was old to, She was as country as you can ever believe, sadly she’s gone and we buried her with her most beloved 357 smith loaded.
Dodge man, she sounds like she was a he'll of a woman! You come from good stock! Happy trails and may God bless America.

Yes if you pull down the red tabs on both sides of the ez mag with one hand you can just drop the bullits in the mag with yer other hand.

EZ 380s are great for noob ladies and they even betta with the grip safety taped off

Back
Top Bottom