• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me figure out this Background Check Bill

that would be implying the site has some duty to keep you from breaking the law.

There are however prepaid lawyers that you could setup a group coverage for, similiar to a corporate lawyer. someone unaffliated with the site would need to set it up prob. though

Uhhhh.... what? So us all chipping in to get a lawyer's opinion on how this law, if passed, impacts us means that this site has an obligation to keep us from breaking the law? Not sure how you got that out of my post :confused2:

The OPERATIVE word is TRANSFER when a transfer occurs from one person to another by any means (gift, sale, barter, trade what ever), the background check applies unless the transferee is a GWL or a member of your immediate family.
Those of you who choose to sit on the sideline and and fail to bombard these turn coats in the senate with emails and phone calls thinking that it just won't happen may as well vote with them because you are supporting them...Obama is in the white house because 2 million registered republicans thought it would not happen, so they did not vote,this disaster of a bill is where it is because not enough pressure was brought to bear by the conservative constituents on the members of the senate.
Hitler killed 6 million Jewish people with ease because they thought it wouldn't happen.
I am preparing a statement of my opposition to this bill so that I can cut and paste it and I'm going to send it every day to these RINOs from Ga. ..if I have to live under this law, it WILL NOT be because I DID NOT TRY to prevent it.
Do your part..stand united or become a herd of sheep, it that simple.
Sorry to get on a rant in your thread OS but I just want people to THINK and at least make an effort beyond just saying it won't happen.

So the ODT trading post will morph into a show-and-tell site, where we'll arrange F2F meetings to admire one another's firearms. What happens after that, in a F2F meeting, is not restricted by this law. Unless some court rules otherwise...

But it also says "if the state has requirements under the law that are generally equivalent to the requirements of this section."

Are we ****ed or not?

In order to have an equivalent requirement, I'm guessing two things would have to be replaced: a background check, and a 4473. I'm guessing that the replacements would be a GWL and a BOS. I think some places like IL already have BOS requirements so this could happen.

If that's right, the ODT would live on... kinda.

For private sales we'll have the option of wading through this murky law and filling out a BOS (perhaps worse than a 4473). The other option would be just pay a little more and buy at a FFL. In this scenario, if I'm looking at a $550 Glock on the other side of ATL or a $600 Glock at the LGS... I'm probably going to the LGS. Sadly, that may be part of the design.

So let me ask this question:

If I want to buy a gun now from a dealer, I show him my Georgia Weapon License and he does not do a background check.

Now if this law goes into effect, is is OK to post an online ad for a gun and not do a background check if the person has a Georgia Weapons License?

In order to have an equivalent requirement, I'm guessing two things would have to be replaced: a background check, and a 4473. I'm guessing that the replacements would be a GWL and a BOS. I think some places like IL already have BOS requirements so this could happen.

If that's right, the ODT would live on... kinda.

For private sales we'll have the option of wading through this murky law and filling out a BOS (perhaps worse than a 4473). The other option would be just pay a little more and buy at a FFL. In this scenario, if I'm looking at a $550 Glock on the other side of ATL or a $600 Glock at the LGS... I'm probably going to the LGS. Sadly, that may be part of the design.

I've seen several Gun Shop owners saying they Support the Bill because their looking at MONEY to do Transfers and Background Checks.

I think I read that a Gun show is constituted if there are more than 75 guns for sale... and... if at least 1 gun was transported across state lines for sale by a dealer. Otherwise it is not a gun show.

So let me ask this question:

If I want to buy a gun now from a dealer, I show him my Georgia Weapon License and he does not do a background check.

Now if this law goes into effect, is is OK to post an online ad for a gun and not do a background check if the person has a Georgia Weapons License?

If the Attorney General says that our state's laws are good enough.

I think that GA would have to pass a law that states a GWL and a BOS is required for private sales without FFL involvement.

They way I read it, it would essentially require GA to pass a gun control law. suck.

"When Guns Are Outlawed,Only Outlaws Will Have Guns." See ya'll late at night.Things go on in the cover of night.

But it also says "if the state has requirements under the law that are generally equivalent to the requirements of this section."

Are we ****ed or not?

It looks that way bro. Looks like they specifically targeted the way we do business here.

I've got a G17. Would like to look at a M&P45. Meet me at Walmart with your M&P if you want to look at my Glock.

I think this scenario would be OK if the decision to trade was made face to face at Walmart parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom