• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honey do list just got longer...380 or 9?

Which Caliber

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 9mm

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters
For home defense its not uncommon for criminals to have buddies with them. Multiple bad guys mean you need multiple bullets that can do multiple damage. A micro 380 is not that gun.

x2. Home invasions are becoming common. If it's for home defense, I can't think of a good reason not to go with a full size 9mm that fits her hand and absorbs recoil (as long as the grip size works for her). Or 45ACP that is easily controllable and has more of a push than a flip.

My wife carries a Ruger LC9 but is not the most comfortable to shoot for long periods at the range. She didn't understand the physics of of more mass in the gun the more comfortable it is to shoot, until I convinced her to try the G17, G21, and S&W 686 revolver. She adapted to all of those quickly and enjoyed how comfortable they were to shoot compared to her LC9 (especially the G17). She also was digging her improved accuracy with those models.

.380 in a small gun for home defense? I don't get that when there are better options that are easily controllable. If her thinking is she would eventually want to carry it in addition to home defense (and doesn't want the expense of separate weapons for each role), then cool. But I would be thinking at least a 9mm regardless.

Well, I have the wife signed for a class at Norcross Range with a female instructor. The Instructor mentioned women usually like the P238. Of course I'd love her to stick with 9mm but whatever she's comfortable with. What else do women prefer? It must have a safety and an easy slide due to weak hand strength.

Thanks in advance!

If you are asking for options of guns to take her to look at...good for you. If you are asking for options of something to buy for her...you'll never get it right. Lol

I'm not crazy about the 380 caliber but that being said it's hard to beat a Glock 42 for size,weight and ease of concealment. I appendix carry mine in a gearcraft IWB and it's so comfortable you hardly even notice it's there.IMHO
Welcome to the trader

She insists on a safety.....I'm hoping after the class she'll be more open to suggestions.
Don't keep it chambered?? I have tried out many with safety's and it's more of a pain... Hard to talk someone into something though. I swore by revolvers only in the beginning. Now I consider a ruger lcr a snake gun. Lol. The only 9mm I hated was the kimber solo. Hope you find her something. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom