• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How dangerous are loose bullets?.....

Sargent

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
2   0
Reaction score
Disclaimer- I posted this over at GON, too.

This is the most informative video on the subject. It was produced by SAAMI.

I knew that the danger of a bullet lied in the pressure it kept while in the barrel. This video shows how un-chambered bullets react in different situations.

I will warn you...this video is sad. They destroyed almost half a million rounds of ammunition during the tests.

It is kind of long, but very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to hear from firefighters regarding this.

I have been inside many structure fires where ammo was going off...

One house had over 80 loaded revolvers, and many many boxes of ammo...one of the cylinders blew out and destryed the gun, but didnt have enough force to hurt us.

Latest fire was the Handy Ace HArdware fire in Tucker with a large display case of ammo going off. Lots of noise, but no immediate dangers to us. The bullet need to be in a chamber to travel with any force.

Yeah, that point needs to be made....

If you are dealing with loaded weapons, the entire game changes.... big time.

This video was posted late last year. Have you ever seen it, or anything like it in your training?

Yeah, that point needs to be made....

If you are dealing with loaded weapons, the entire game changes.... big time.

This video was posted late last year. Have you ever seen it, or anything like it in your training?

No, never been trained or formally warned about it.. Just personal experiences and word of mouth. Ive seen that video.

I wish I wouldve gotten a pic of that one revolver that had the cylinder side blown out...it was crazy. All of this man's guns were stashed all over the house in random places. Ever time we would turn a corner, more rounds going off! Scary sounding, but never felt anything hit me.

I have done similar "stunts" at a camp fire. With a single round. All it does is pop like a firecracker. Yes on the scale that most of us have ammo it would be more scary but still relatively harmless. The brass casing is too soft to contain enough pressure to cause great damage. The more serious injuries that would be likely are the same as running through a briar patch or a bunch of blackberry bushes.

Back
Top Bottom