• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many of ya'll had a need for a firearm carry or at home.

Have you had to use or almost use a firearm in self defense.

• Total voters

coolformula

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start any flame wars. This other thread just made me think of this question.

How many of us had to use a firearm in some capacity?

I really hope this thread have not had people who had to use it (stress, legal etc etc)

However I know a lot of live in the country and I can see a stray animal threatens your animals and things like that could be on the list.

also I understand Leos and Military might have had to use their guns or get close than the average person.

Just thought it would be an interesting thread.

Thankfully I have not ever been really close to needing it to protect myself. I try to stay out of bad situations, but I understand crime and things can happen to any of us at any time.

Be safe and have a great day my ODT family.

I actually had an experience fairly recently that made me glad I had my G43 in my waistband. Granted, as you'll note in this story, nearly any firearm would have been suitable and the means it was carried was irrelevant.

Coming home from seeing the new Top Gun, the sun was already set, my wife and I were nearly home on a rural backroad, and there were some cars stopped in the road up ahead on both sides.

I approached cautiously but as I got closer saw why they were there. A doe was laying down with her head up on the center lines.

I got out, asked if everyone (3 ladies) was alright and they explained that none of them hit it but didn't know what to do.

Skipping some details it was clear there was nothing to be done for the poor thing. So I told them that whoever was too squeamish should go ahead and leave, which one of them did. So I unholstered and spared it more suffering, drug it to the ditch and called it a night.

I hunt and don't mind killing animals but none of them deserve to suffer for any amount of time that can be circumvented. I'm glad I didn't have to get all the way home, grab a gun, and come back to do what was necessary.

Oddly as the person who made the post which inspired this post. I have used my carry gun a couple of times. The times Ive used it were to put down an injured animal that had been hit by a car, kill a venomous snake, or to finish a pig that the initial shot came up short. The times Ive needed a gun a j frame has been the gun I had that I didnt mind using the bullets on hand. The last time I shot something it was a hog and it was not confidence inspiring.

As for defending myself from another human Ive never needed a gun.

I actually had an experience fairly recently that made me glad I had my G43 in my waistband. Granted, as you'll note in this story, nearly any firearm would have been suitable and the means it was carried was irrelevant.

Coming home from seeing the new Top Gun, the sun was already set, my wife and I were nearly home on a rural backroad, and there were some cars stopped in the road up ahead on both sides.

I approached cautiously but as I got closer saw why they were there. A doe was laying down with her head up on the center lines.

I got out, asked if everyone (3 ladies) was alright and they explained that none of them hit it but didn't know what to do.

Skipping some details it was clear there was nothing to be done for the poor thing. So I told them that whoever was too squeamish should go ahead and leave, which one of them did. So I unholstered and spared it more suffering, drug it to the ditch and called it a night.

I hunt and don't mind killing animals but none of them deserve to suffer for any amount of time that can be circumvented. I'm glad I didn't have to get all the way home, grab a gun, and come back to do what was necessary.
You could of just saved the bullet and ran over its head with your car. Either way, you did right by not letting it suffer.

You could of just saved the bullet and ran over its head with your car. Either way, you did right by not letting it suffer.

It was sitting with its head up, I have a small sedan, and my wife was already upset that it had to die in the first place.

These three things fully prevented that option lol

There wasn't an exact category for me to vote for, but many years ago at a Shell station between Riverdale and Union City I made sure that an individual clearly saw my Kimber on my hip. When he saw it as he came around the front of my truck you could hear his sneakers squeal as he stopped, turned and headed the other way.

For a period I worked in Atlanta in some of the worst areas (English Ave, Vine City, Beecher Street, etc). Atleast 3 times a week I had issues with the locals and wildlife. I learned to never be in public without a gun because you never know who's watching you.

About 10 years or so ago when I worked at the Kroger I saw to guys get into a shouting match and one of them threatened to shot the other. He put his hand of the gun and everything. Apparently they had had a run in in the parking lot with guy with the gun insulted other dudes wife. I was unarmed so I ran and hid in the walk in cooler.

Back
Top Bottom