• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much "hunting ammo"?

Na, if I wanted to shoot dogs I would get a job at the pound. Lack of public land and lack of game worth harvesting has kind of spoiled me on hunting in the south.

The deer have definitely taken a nose dive in Ga. but I still manage to get the three we eat every year so far( and I do not shoot little ones as most do). I go for the fellowship with my buds and take usually 2-4 days at a time, some great memories..

The deer have definitely taken a nose dive in Ga. but I still manage to get the three we eat every year so far( and I do not shoot little ones as most do). I go for the fellowship with my buds and take usually 2-4 days at a time, some great memories..

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I grew up hunting Rocky Mountain Mule Deer and Rocky Mountain Elk. We were allowed to harvest one male a year in a preselected 100 square mile unit on a preselected 3 or 5 day hunt. We selected the unit and hunt date 9 months in advance and if you didn't harvest an animal in that small window you didn't get to for the year. After spending most of my life scouting, stalking and harvesting mule deer and rocky mountain elk, I just don't get too excited over the prospect of shooting eastern white tail. Couple that with lack of public land and I have just decided that part of my life is on hold until I can get back out west.

For my deer hunting rifles I keep a minimum of 100 rounds. Smaller calibers much more. Calibers range from 221 Fireball to 460 Weatherby. May only have 60 or so of the 460 now that I think about it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I grew up hunting Rocky Mountain Mule Deer and Rocky Mountain Elk. We were allowed to harvest one male a year in a preselected 100 square mile unit on a preselected 3 or 5 day hunt. We selected the unit and hunt date 9 months in advance and if you didn't harvest an animal in that small window you didn't get to for the year. After spending most of my life scouting, stalking and harvesting mule deer and rocky mountain elk, I just don't get too excited over the prospect of shooting eastern white tail. Couple that with lack of public land and I have just decided that part of my life is on hold until I can get back out west.

I hear ya, going out west myself soon to try hunting mulies, cannot wait!

For deer I am still going on have one box of 6 year old 30-30 and 1 box of five year old 44 mag JSP. At somewhere around 1.125 shells / deer. I do not see why I should stockpile.

I have 4 boxes of pheasant shells for my next hunt.

Quail is the same as Sporting Clays so I usualy have 4-5 boxes on hand.

For squirrel .22 is .22.

Back
Top Bottom