Hunting scopes...

I am not tied to FFP for a hunting scope...other options?

I tried to keep my sales ads out of this but...since you asked. Your qualifications were as so:
My idea of the perfect hunting scope is one with something like 2-12x up to 3-18x-Check
with an illuminated duplex reticle and maybe a zero stop- one of them is Illuminated, but no zero stop, but you want capped turrets, so...??
30mm tube and good clear glass in low light conditions are also desirable to me-Check
These scopes must be light (preferably 18-22oz) and compact is a plus.-Check
Capped reticles are preferred to keep from accidentally changing zero in the thick stuff-Check
Screaming good deal (Ok I made this one up, but its true)-Check

I know you are light transmission guy, and unless you have a Z8i Swaro, these are going to be the best you can get in that department. As for the rest of the glass I have images of their 1.7-10 vs my 1-6 Kahles at various mag ranges, and the MEOPTA has better glass. It just does, and as you know Kahles is a Swaro product. Contrast, CA, Punchiness of colors, lack of distortion all favor the Meopta. It was a surprising discovery considering the price difference. If you still are entertaining FFP, NF has the new NX8s in 2.5-20 that just started shipping.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-nib-meopta-meostar-2-5-15x56-w-bdc3.1985200/

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...t-king-nib-meopta-meostar-r1-3-12x56.1985201/

Couldn't find a recent thread on this so here goes...

What are the best hunting scopes out there today? I have a few tactical long range guns...with heavy NF and other high end long range scopes. But they are just too big and heavy for me to put on a hunting rifle that I am going to carry around.

My idea of the perfect hunting scope is one with something like 2-12x up to 3-18x...with an illuminated duplex reticle and maybe a zero stop. 30mm tube and good clear glass in low light conditions are also desirable to me. I primarily hunt where shots are longer range (400 to 600 yds...or more). These scopes must be light (preferably 18-22oz) and compact is a plus.
Capped reticles are preferred to keep from accidentally changing zero in the thick stuff.

I am not talking about a scope for the GA woods where the shots are 75 yds and less...even though the ones I want would work for that also.

I'm just wondering if I am not aware of some of the newer quality offerings in the hunting scope market.

My latest purchase was a Leopold VX-6i. I like it. Anything better out there?
I will take a counterfeit leupold over most other stuff

I tried to keep my sales ads out of this but...since you asked. Your qualifications were as so:
My idea of the perfect hunting scope is one with something like 2-12x up to 3-18x-Check
with an illuminated duplex reticle and maybe a zero stop- one of them is Illuminated, but no zero stop, but you want capped turrets, so...??
30mm tube and good clear glass in low light conditions are also desirable to me-Check
These scopes must be light (preferably 18-22oz) and compact is a plus.-Check
Capped reticles are preferred to keep from accidentally changing zero in the thick stuff-Check
Screaming good deal (Ok I made this one up, but its true)-Check

I know you are light transmission guy, and unless you have a Z8i Swaro, these are going to be the best you can get in that department. As for the rest of the glass I have images of their 1.7-10 vs my 1-6 Kahles at various mag ranges, and the MEOPTA has better glass. It just does, and as you know Kahles is a Swaro product. Contrast, CA, Punchiness of colors, lack of distortion all favor the Meopta. It was a surprising discovery considering the price difference. If you still are entertaining FFP, NF has the new NX8s in 2.5-20 that just started shipping.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-nib-meopta-meostar-2-5-15x56-w-bdc3.1985200/

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...t-king-nib-meopta-meostar-r1-3-12x56.1985201/

Honestly, I looked hard at yours. I am just not a big fan of objectives over 44mm or so...(bulky and puts the scope a little higher than I like).
Plus I like to trade stuff...cash is kinda tight right now.

Honestly, I looked hard at yours. I am just not a big fan of objectives over 44mm or so...(bulky and puts the scope a little higher than I like).
Plus I like to trade stuff...cash is kinda tight right now.
Yeap, understood. Their 1.7-10x42 with the BDC3 illuminated is such an awesome hunting scope. It's what I'll be using this year. It's all I need in the Ga woods.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What sort of hunting rifle do you prefer? Curious because you sound like you head out West and have some particulars what you look for.
You are correct. Western hunting in wide open spaces. Rig must be lightweight, accurate with good glass. I generally avoid shots over 500 yds unless conditions are good and getting closer is not possible...but having a setup capable of 600+ is a good thing.

My rifles shoot flat enough that holdover shots are easy out to 450-500. Past that and it’s time to dial unless the reticle has more holdover POA’s.

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom