Hunting scopes...

My list goes as follows is Vortex ( Lifetime warranty is very attractive, and it is no hassle ), Nikon: I have always had good luck an results with Nikon. For a good budget scope Bushnell. I have one on a AR 308 and it shoots .425 MOA all day long. It's the scoop made specifically for the AR 308 and it is a tank of a scope.I bought it with the intention of replacing it when I had more money. It turned out to be such a good scope I am keeping it. I even have a Bushnell on a Marlin lever 30-30 and it shoot lights out at 100 and it has always kept it's zero, never a problem with it.

The Nikon Black Force scopes are nice and affordable as well. 4-16x50 for plenty of light transmission and a 30mm tube. They are definitely worth taking a look at. One of them has a true 1 power and is illuminated as well.

I can't remember who it was that said it ( one of the long range trainers on here ) said he has seen more delamination of the glass and problems with Leupold scopes than any other. I believe it was cmshoot.

My list goes as follows is Vortex ( Lifetime warranty is very attractive, and it is no hassle ), Nikon: I have always had good luck an results with Nikon. For a good budget scope Bushnell. I have one on a AR 308 and it shoots .425 MOA all day long. It's the scoop made specifically for the AR 308 and it is a tank of a scope.I bought it with the intention of replacing it when I had more money. It turned out to be such a good scope I am keeping it. I even have a Bushnell on a Marlin lever 30-30 and it shoot lights out at 100 and it has always kept it's zero, never a problem with it.

The Nikon Black Force scopes are nice and affordable as well. 4-16x50 for plenty of light transmission and a 30mm tube. They are definitely worth taking a look at. One of them has a true 1 power and is illuminated as well.

I can't remember who it was that said it ( one of the long range trainers on here ) said he has seen more delamination of the glass and problems with Leupold scopes than any other. I believe it was cmshoot.

This issue is that it depends on which lines of those scope brands. I would take Bushnell Elite over all Vortex Scopes accept for some Razors or AMG's. I would take it over every Nikon. Any of the scopes coming out of LOW Japan are going to be tough to beat by scopes made in China, Philippines, Taiwan etc. Other than glass, the first thing that needs to happen in any precision scope is tracking especially if you are going to dial any like the OP wishes to do at times. It was cmshoot which mentioned the issues with Leuopold, which is a shame, because the Mark5 HD series looks to check a lot of boxes for a precision hunting scope except for its weirdo 35mm tube.

I like the Vortex Razors, and value wise they are way up there, if not at the highest right now, but the rest of the line I need convincing (Gen II PST's are well regarded as well). I hear a lot of good things about their warranty, but I am starting to wonder if I hear too much of it. Praising a scope company for fixing all of these issues I have seen out of the box is not anything special. Any scope company will do that, the question is, why so many issues? The last thing I want to do is send a scope back for something that occurred through no fault of my own. Id be more likely to buy from a reputable company that no ones even knows if the CS department exists. :D I realize some people like the warranty in case they run over it with a truck, understandable, but I certainly wouldn't sacrifice optical quality just for insurance against my own neglect.

The one thing we didnt get in the requirements for the OP's scope was cost, and I think that will help us a bit more.

This issue is that it depends on which lines of those scope brands. I would take Bushnell Elite over all Vortex Scopes accept for some Razors or AMG's. I would take it over every Nikon. Any of the scopes coming out of LOW Japan are going to be tough to beat by scopes made in China, Philippines, Taiwan etc. Other than glass, the first thing that needs to happen in any precision scope is tracking especially if you are going to dial any like the OP wishes to do at times. It was cmshoot which mentioned the issues with Leuopold, which is a shame, because the Mark5 HD series looks to check a lot of boxes for a precision hunting scope except for its weirdo 35mm tube.

I like the Vortex Razors, and value wise they are way up there, if not at the highest right now, but the rest of the line I need convincing (Gen II PST's are well regarded as well). I hear a lot of good things about their warranty, but I am starting to wonder if I hear too much of it. Praising a scope company for fixing all of these issues I have seen out of the box is not anything special. Any scope company will do that, the question is, why so many issues? The last thing I want to do is send a scope back for something that occurred through no fault of my own. Id be more likely to buy from a reputable company that no ones even knows if the CS department exists. :D I realize some people like the warranty in case they run over it with a truck, understandable, but I certainly wouldn't sacrifice optical quality just for insurance against my own neglect.

The one thing we didnt get in the requirements for the OP's scope was cost, and I think that will help us a bit more.

Cost for an optic is a tricky subject for me. I own some $500-$800 scopes that are mostly on .22's or what I call a "woods" gun...meaning it is in a caliber or set-up making it a 250-300yd gun.
A couple of my long range tactical rigs have scopes costing north of 2k...I consider those "my life could depend on it" scopes.
Having said that...I usually try to match scope cost with rifle cost/capabilities. And sometimes, honestly, it's a cosmetic thing.
For example, a factory wood stocked Browning or Dakota sure do look good with a good ol Leopold VX-3 or 6. Put a nice duplex reticle in a 2.5-8x40 mm and I'm good to go out to 400yds.
A custom .300WM with a CF barrel and stock? Then I'm thinking about the 3-18x44 or 50mm. That March link above has me thinking...and Burdy's Meopta's.
I don't know about the rest of you but if I'm in a hunting situation then a long shot is probably gonna be prone off of my backpack...or maybe sitting off of shooting sticks. When I have tried super high magnification (say over 16-18 power) I have a hard time getting steady enough to feel good about a trigger squeeze. When dialed back a little my hold feels better (whether it really is or not I guess). I think for me anything over 18x is best for when I'm on a bench.

My Vortex warranty issues were limited to a cracked turret cap, and a cross threaded screw I got when I bought a used one. I sent it back and they fixed the problem and sent me a pair of glass caps. I have never had a problem with the scopes insides or build quality. Mainly just operator error. Yes I do make mistakes.

Doesn't meet your qualifications but I was reading through this owners manual and isnt this interesting... Look at page 3 where it talks about the minimum deviation technology. Appears to make a second focal plane scope work "nearly" like a FFP. I am kind of curious if this technology works with a BDC reticle or are they just basically overplaying tolerances on the main point of aim. As usual with S&B, everything is a guess.
https://blog.scopelist.com/schmidt-bender-exos-3-21x50-user-manual-eng/

Doesn't meet your qualifications but I was reading through this owners manual and isnt this interesting... Look at page 3 where it talks about the minimum deviation technology. Appears to make a second focal plane scope work "nearly" like a FFP. I am kind of curious if this technology works with a BDC reticle or are they just basically overplaying tolerances on the main point of aim. As usual with S&B, everything is a guess.
https://blog.scopelist.com/schmidt-bender-exos-3-21x50-user-manual-eng/
Very interesting. 2.05lbs tho.

Back
Top Bottom