• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting scopes...

Lionheart

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
En vino veritas
210   0
Reaction score
Couldn't find a recent thread on this so here goes...

What are the best hunting scopes out there today? I have a few tactical long range guns...with heavy NF and other high end long range scopes. But they are just too big and heavy for me to put on a hunting rifle that I am going to carry around.

My idea of the perfect hunting scope is one with something like 2-12x up to 3-18x...with an illuminated duplex reticle and maybe a zero stop. 30mm tube and good clear glass in low light conditions are also desirable to me. I primarily hunt where shots are longer range (400 to 600 yds...or more). These scopes must be light (preferably 18-22oz) and compact is a plus.
Capped reticles are preferred to keep from accidentally changing zero in the thick stuff.

I am not talking about a scope for the GA woods where the shots are 75 yds and less...even though the ones I want would work for that also.

I'm just wondering if I am not aware of some of the newer quality offerings in the hunting scope market.

My latest purchase was a Leopold VX-6i. I like it. Anything better out there?

Vx-6 is hard to beat.

Really comes down to what you we expect from the scope.

I have some cheaper Vortex pst scopes but prefer:
Trijicon Accupower's
Leupold VX-6, 5 and some of the 3's.
German scopes sometimes..Price can hurt on choosing those.

I like side focus...a recticle I can range 18" to o 24" with.
I don't dial range on a hunting scope unless it is a fixed range/spot I am shooting so it is mostly not an issue.

I am a glass snob..Brightness and clarity help my old eyes.

The best? Used LRHSi in 3-12 or 4.5-18. I can't be convinced otherwise considering your use case Lionheart Lionheart .

It is a couple ounces (4 more in the 4.5-18) past your weight limit, but all other features overcome that IMO unless you are really going to be toting the rifle for very long distances where every ounce counts.

I am assuming you want FFP? If not, that opens up a lot of options.

If you are willing to compromise on the high magnification and go without illumination, take a look at the Nightforce SHV 3-10. What you get for giving up those things is a reasonably light weight and compact scope that is ultra clear and reliable.

I've never had the need for illumination with this scope. If I can see the animal well enough to reliably identify it and can see the crosshair. It is also so clear and the crosshair so crisp that 600 yard shots are not a problem. It has the MOAH crosshair that is calibrated for max magnification, so for the longer shots just crank it all the way up and know your hold over.

NF has several Compact scopes, as well.

I use the NF 2.5-10x32mm Compact NXS on a couple different hunting rifles. That scope has been replaced by the 2.5-10x42mm.

NF also has scopes in the 1-4x and 1-8x range. In the SHV line, NF has a 3-10x42mm.

All of those are excellent hunting scopes.

Couldn't find a recent thread on this so here goes...

What are the best hunting scopes out there today? I have a few tactical long range guns...with heavy NF and other high end long range scopes. But they are just too big and heavy for me to put on a hunting rifle that I am going to carry around.

My idea of the perfect hunting scope is one with something like 2-12x up to 3-18x...with an illuminated duplex reticle and maybe a zero stop. 30mm tube and good clear glass in low light conditions are also desirable to me. I primarily hunt where shots are longer range (400 to 600 yds...or more). These scopes must be light (preferably 18-22oz) and compact is a plus.
Capped reticles are preferred to keep from accidentally changing zero in the thick stuff.

I am not talking about a scope for the GA woods where the shots are 75 yds and less...even though the ones I want would work for that also.

I'm just wondering if I am not aware of some of the newer quality offerings in the hunting scope market.

My latest purchase was a Leopold VX-6i. I like it. Anything better out there?
What sort of hunting rifle do you prefer? Curious because you sound like you head out West and have some particulars what you look for.

24mm scopes like LPVO's have sub-optimal light transmission at dusk and dawn at anything above 3x magnifcation. I could have killed two more deer last year without this issue while hunting with a Kahles 1-6 which has outstanding brightness, it just needs more objective for the job. A 32mm objective, all things being equal will be optimal to about 5x when the light is fading and 42/44mm will be optimal at around 6x max. Considering his ranges and need for magnification, I would consider 42/44mm the minimum.

I would like to see FFP for his use case, but SFP is just fine as well. If SFP I would stick to a maximum of 15/16x and a minimum of 9/10x for the top end. I would consider a 12x top end near perfect. If FFP, the reticle will be very very important, which is why I recommend the LRHS, most other FFP scope reticles do not show well at low magnification in the woods, they are too small.

Illumination is not needed on some scopes due to reticle design and light transmission, in fact, it can hinder your ability to see when on in some cases. A fixed 4 power is great for killing, or 3 power for that matter, and I hunted two years ago with just that. The problem is at distance, I cannot look the game over well enough to determine if it is a shooter or not, so I consider 6x the minimum now when hunting where I am being particular about what game I am taking.

The best? Used LRHSi in 3-12 or 4.5-18. I can't be convinced otherwise considering your use case Lionheart Lionheart .

It is a couple ounces (4 more in the 4.5-18) past your weight limit, but all other features overcome that IMO unless you are really going to be toting the rifle for very long distances where every ounce counts.

I am assuming you want FFP? If not, that opens up a lot of options.
I am not tied to FFP for a hunting scope...other options?

Back
Top Bottom