• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I just talked to a young man.

True story...
Many, many years ago I owned a marine repair facility. Needing technicians I placed an add in a local paper.
One day had a young guy ride up on an old wore out Harley shovel head. Long red hair and covered in tatts everywhere skin was exposed. Said he wanted the technician job. I ask what what his experience level was on marine engines...his answer —-none. I told him I was only looking for “experienced techs”. His response was “ I’ll work for a week for nothing”. At the end of the week if you like what I can do you hire me, if not I leave and you don’t owe me a penny.
He worked for me for 8 years before moving back to Ohio... never judge a book by its cover.

Bingo! A lot of people are lazy and full of crap. I lost a high paying job to a layoff and after about 3 months of applying and applying, no results. I was about to go nuts sitting at home. I randomly meet this guy at a bar and he runs a body shop, says he's looking for a paint tech or two. So I say "I'd be interested, but I know nothing about paint work. I've always worked office jobs. That being said, I'm a quick learner and very coachable." He tells me to call him on Sunday and he'll have me do a week trial, for no pay, to see how things play out. I called, beat him to work everday, worked my ass off. I ended up painting cars for 2 and a half years before I went back to the corporate world. I miss it somedays. Seeing a high end car go from damaged to looking show room condition, and knowing you transformed it, is almost priceless. But the corporate world has its allure of benefits and steady pay.

Although a real Southern Belle (never was sure how dad got so lucky) my mother was fearsome when riled. She'd tell my brother (referenced above) before we exited the car to enter a store, "Young man, let me tell you one thing. In this store? If you embarrass me? I PROMISE I'll embarrass YOU!" She meant it too. LOL.

my mother carried one of my dads belts in her purse when I was a kid and we were out in public

My nephew is in his late 30s covered in tatts, hands, neck everywhere. drives a truck, wears flat toe cowboy boots, cowboy hat and considers himself on the right of politics.and does well for himself.
He was abandoned at a young age by my brother, treated like crap by his mom growing up, he lived a hard life and was own his own at age 14.

My son can’t wait to get a job, and a DL. His mother was a tattoo artist, so he was raised around tattoos his whole life, and doesn’t really seem to have an opinion on them either way.

I have 3 visible tattoos if I'm wearing short sleeves, rather large ones at that, a half sleeve that pokes out the bottom of the sleeve and 1 on each forearm. If I wear long sleeves you can't see them, one thing I learned when getting my very first tattoo was the guy doing it told me "when you get more, if you with on your arms stop to where long-sleeve shirts will cover it, you can wear long sleeves every where if need be but not turtle necks and gloves." I've never considered getting any on hands, face, or neck.

He said it will not matter since the unemployment and stimulus will be back after the 20th.

^^^ I wouldn't hire him for this.^^ Plenty of good construction jobs out there and nobody in construction or skilled trades gives damn if you have tats. Problem with millennials is they get their felling hurt way to easily to work construction.

Back
Top Bottom