• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need scope advice

In your opinion, how does Leupold compare to German optics?
I have never had a higher end Leupold. I would tend to favor the lower end priced Euro scopes over something like a VX2 or VX3, which I assume is comparable to the Freedom line. I am not very demanding. I like light weight, reliability under normal conditions, and some variation of a #4 reticle. The competition shooters who ring out every bit of performance from their optics would be much more discerning than me.

I really appreciate your advice and it kinda makes me feel like I was right all along wanting more magnification! The guys on the weatherby blog said don’t go higher than 14x because the eye relief will blind you. I have a vx5 on my 7mm mag and love it. And yes I know it’s a lot of recoil, but I have a Ruger No 1 in .458 win mag that I’ve taken 3 of the big 5 down with so I’m not afraid. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it
Eye relief and FOV are determined by the ocular. Typically when design choices are made to meet a price point this is an easy piece to skimp on. IE more mag with terrible FOV and eye relief.

That said a $3k scope doesn't make that design compromise so you absolutely can run a 20, 30 or 40x scope in a hunting scenario but you're gonna pay for it.

Im not a hunter but a dabbler in long range. I don't know if the reticle will work for your application, but a vortex viper pst 3-15 is crazy clear and cuts through haze well. It's 30mm and comes in moa or mil.

I have never had a higher end Leupold. I would tend to favor the lower end priced Euro scopes over something like a VX2 or VX3, which I assume is comparable to the Freedom line. I am not very demanding. I like light weight, reliability under normal conditions, and some variation of a #4 reticle. The competition shooters who ring out every bit of performance from their optics would be much more discerning than me.
I really appreciate the advice. What would you recommend?

Eye relief and FOV are determined by the ocular. Typically when design choices are made to meet a price point this is an easy piece to skimp on. IE more mag with terrible FOV and eye relief.

That said a $3k scope doesn't make that design compromise so you absolutely can run a 20, 30 or 40x scope in a hunting scenario but you're gonna pay for it.
Honestly I can’t see (no pun intended haha) me needing that much magnification for what I’ll be doing. And I’m definitely afraid of not enough eye relief. I’ve been “kissed” a couple of times and don’t care to again.

Back
Top Bottom