• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need scope advice

ga.southern.eagle

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
8   0
Reaction score
I have a Rem 700 Sendero and need a scope. I spoke with a very helpful Leupold rep and she has almost convinced me that the VX Freedom 4-12x40 is the way to go. She said it is almost identical to the VX3HD (minus the CDS that I don’t have to have) and will definitely handle my 300 weatherby mag recoil. And has the exact same lifetime warranty as every other Leupold. Advice?

Out west 300 yds is considered close range lol. With the wide open terrain it is difficult to get very close to animals without spooking them. A big factor for me is weight…I’m no spring chicken and when lugging a rifle around all day even ounces make a difference.
That caliber is capable out to 600 yds or more, easy.
FWIW, my choice for western hunting hunting on that rifle would be the VX-5HD 3-18x44.
Get the dial and you can shoot out to 600yds + with just a turn of the dial.
Having said that, if you are only comfortable out to 300 yds then yes, the VX Freedom 4-12x40 will work just fine.
And save you lots of money.
But I can’t leav without a comment on your caliber choice.
That’s a lot of gun (and felt recoil) for a 300 yd and in gun.
Have you considered a 7mag, .300WM or even a smaller caliber like 30/06, .280 Rem, etc?

Out west 300 yds is considered close range lol. With the wide open terrain it is difficult to get very close to animals without spooking them. A big factor for me is weight…I’m no spring chicken and when lugging a rifle around all day even ounces make a difference.
That caliber is capable out to 600 yds or more, easy.
FWIW, my choice for western hunting hunting on that rifle would be the VX-5HD 3-18x44.
Get the dial and you can shoot out to 600yds + with just a turn of the dial.
Having said that, if you are only comfortable out to 300 yds then yes, the VX Freedom 4-12x40 will work just fine.
And save you lots of money.
But I can’t leav without a comment on your caliber choice.
That’s a lot of gun (and felt recoil) for a 300 yd and in gun.
Have you considered a 7mag, .300WM or even a smaller caliber like 30/06, .280 Rem, etc?
I really appreciate your advice and it kinda makes me feel like I was right all along wanting more magnification! The guys on the weatherby blog said don’t go higher than 14x because the eye relief will blind you. I have a vx5 on my 7mm mag and love it. And yes I know it’s a lot of recoil, but I have a Ruger No 1 in .458 win mag that I’ve taken 3 of the big 5 down with so I’m not afraid. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it though lol!

Back
Top Bottom