• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was stopped at a road block last night.

so? let him be suspicious

its not his job to seek a crime out, its his job to write a ticket and/or make sure your driving safe (this is in regards to a traffic stop of course)

has nothing to do with you exercising your rights

As I have said in a previous post. My attitude has nothing to do with the law or my rights. I think it's just common courtesy to let any LEO you are dealing with know you are armed. What's wrong with being courteous?

As I have said in a previous post. My attitude has nothing to do with the law or my rights. I think it's just common courtesy to let any LEO you are dealing with know you are armed. What's wrong with being courteous?

how is it courteous? i dont get it

holding the door for someone, thats courteous. being aware and not getting in peoples way. courteous. telling a cop you have a gun when it is a non-issue and otherwise both parties involved would be on their way regardless of that fact shared? thats asinine

how is it courteous? i dont get it

holding the door for someone, thats courteous. being aware and not getting in peoples way. courteous. telling a cop you have a gun when it is a non-issue and otherwise both parties involved would be on their way regardless of that fact shared? thats asinine

Excuse me, but are you capable of having an adult conversation without name calling?

The reason it is courteous is because LE is in one of the most dangerous jobs out there. What makes it dangerous is other people with weapons. Their professionalism seldom lets them show the fact that anytime they are interacting with an unknown individual they are on edge, or at least they should be. You are assuming that the encounter will not develop beyond a simple license check, but it often does. If you have already informed the officer you are armed there are no surprises.

But what the hell do I know? I'm not a cop. Any LEO out there that would like to chime in and let us know if they prefer to be informed or not?

Excuse me, but are you capable of having an adult conversation without name calling?

The reason it is courteous is because LE is in one of the most dangerous jobs out there. What makes it dangerous is other people with weapons. Their professionalism seldom lets them show the fact that anytime they are interacting with an unknown individual they are on edge, or at least they should be. You are assuming that the encounter will not develop beyond a simple license check, but it often does. If you have already informed the officer you are armed there are no surprises.

But what the hell do I know? I'm not a cop. Any LEO out there that would like to chime in and let us know if they prefer to be informed or not?
..................i have read my response like 40 times and i didnt call anyone a name

are you referring to my use of the word asinine? asinine means unnecessary, foolish, a waste

it is in regards to an action

ok, i get your point of someone having a gun on them and a cop being worried, i see where your coming from. but if the cop was doing his/her job right (and by right, i mean how they were trained to) then they should assume that everyone is armed and to have their situational awareness up

so regardless of being informed or not, a police officer should be on their Ps and Qs and stay alert.

again, not courteous, a waste of time. i dont see why it would be an issue ever. if im pulled over, what difference does it make to the cop if im armed or not? if im going to pull steel and plug him, chances are he/she could get shot (i would never, but this is in relevance to an LEOs perception of a stop). if im going to sit in my car and deal with a traffic stop like the law abiding citizen that i am, well thats whats going to happen without incident

informing them doesnt do anything for them. i mean how could it. by telling them you have a gun, you are already going the route of cooperation which is something that would have happened anyway in the 2nd scenario i gave. only difference is you would leave the officers presence without them knowing you were armed. the end result being the traffic stop was completed without incident in either case

so why bring it up?

Ok....if this is truly a real License, then I would highly suggest that come January 2016 I would apply for my renewal to the new GWL. This might be a real "typo" and a great conversation piece....but after 2-4-16....IMO you are now no longer legally licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Georgia. Any presiding probate judge would rule this as more than "unreasonable"...and you could really find yourself in a jackpot!!.....again,...not tryng to be disrespectful here....but SB308 changed the whole format and scripting of the License again, from a GFL to a GWL requiring the issuer's picture to be on the License. The State has already somewhere figured when the "last" of the old type GWL's will expire. After that time, you really will be in a situation where you could get yourself into trouble. Remember "ignorance" of the law does not give you a free hall pass!

Lol, guess you didn't read post 38 sir and I think I will pass on the "ignorance." There's plenty of that in this world without me adding my truckload.

I've NEVER pulled someone out of their car at gunpoint for telling me they had a gun. Please forgive my ***holery, but that's just a plain ignorant reason for not being forthcoming. If you do not wish to reveal the fact that you are carrying, that's fine, that's legal, and that's your business, but please don't use some made up Hollywood excuse.

Good for you, but when I'm pulled over I don't know who i'm going to encounter. No Hollywood involved....real life and this is just one of them: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49871&hilit=cobb

I wouldn't argue for accenting to asearch unless you so choose. But anything visible through windows is fair game. That's not illegal search, that's plain sight. If you don't want it seen from the outside, conceal it inside. Saying an officer can't look in or even shine a flashlight in is just crazy.

THis series gets a little cocky at times but I think it's mostly correct.

As you've said, anything in plain sight is acceptable and that I understand. However I don't drive around with open beer cans and bags of weed on the seat..There's nothing that would ever be in my vehicle that could potentially warrant a search, flashlight shine all you want, but for an indepth search, "Officer I do not consent to any searches." If you pull me over, please don't be offended by that statement, It's just that as a constantly running family man, I have a lot of crap in my vehicles, kids coats, diaper bags, work gear etc..That an officer would simply throw on the side of the road, rummage through, then continue tearing my vehicle apart only to say "Ok, you may go" and walk off to leav eme repacking my car. Sorry, It's a priveledge that cops have overused on me, and I will not let them harass me anymore than needed. (BTW, even when I was handcuffed, there was nothing illegal in my car, but I felt like a criminal when I was a high school student going to after school voc courses for my current career. I felt belittled and degraded.)

Last edited by a moderator:
so? let him be suspicious

its not his job to seek a crime out, its his job to write a ticket and/or make sure your driving safe (this is in regards to a traffic stop of course)

has nothing to do with you exercising your rights

WHAT? Wow....its not a cops job to seek crime out. A traffic stop is the result of a crime.

Bear, I'm with you sir and appreciate you being supportive. It is a dangerouse job, and its "COURTEOUS" to help lower the risk factors. Everyone's entitled to be armed, legally of course. I don't expect everyone to tell me, but it puts me at ease when someone informs me right off the bat. I said before, because you don't reveal it doesn't mean I'll turn into a raging ***hole later. It simply gives me more confidence that things are going to go a lot better when someone does reveal. I honestly can't recall the last time I removed someone's legally held firearm from their vehicle. I may ask you to put it in a secure place, locked glove box for example, for the duration of the stop.

WHAT? Wow....its not a cops job to seek crime out. A traffic stop is the result of a crime.

Bear, I'm with you sir and appreciate you being supportive. It is a dangerouse job, and its "COURTEOUS" to help lower the risk factors. Everyone's entitled to be armed, legally of course. I don't expect everyone to tell me, but it puts me at ease when someone informs me right off the bat. I said before, because you don't reveal it doesn't mean I'll turn into a raging ***hole later. It simply gives me more confidence that things are going to go a lot better when someone does reveal. I honestly can't recall the last time I removed someone's legally held firearm from their vehicle. I may ask you to put it in a secure place, locked glove box for example, for the duration of the stop.

Thanks for being one of the few cops that's not a dick, might not sound right but there's a lot of cops on power trips, glad to see you're not one of them.

Thanks for being one of the few cops that's not a dick, might not sound right but there's a lot of cops on power trips, glad to see you're not one of them.

Thank you sir, and you're welcome. The badge comes with as much responsibility as it does authority. I've painstakingly taken strides to ensure that my authority doesn't overcome my responsibility to uphold the Constitution. Please don't see this as a "holier than other cops" mentallity. I work with and know a great bunch of guys who do the same. The bad guys will get got. Do it the right way.

Back
Top Bottom