• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you wanted a 6" 1911 in 9mm...

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
So something I've been kicking around for a while is building either a 1911 or a 2011 with a long-slide in 9mm.
I want a quality gun, but I'd like to keep it to $1.5K or less.

Things I would like:
Long-Slide.
Full length rails/dust-cover/Picatinny rail
Stainless.
Ramped.
Ambi-Safety.
Would like the higher cap mags, but still on the fence about it.
Threaded barrel for use as a suppressor host if I want.
Things like checkering or other fru-fru stuff mean nothing to me.

So if you were looking at something like that, what would YOU do? Who would you look at? I've looked at STI themselves and Fusion.
The closest thing I have been able to find is the Perfect-10, but of course looking for it in an 9mm.
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-perfect-10/

sti_Perfect10.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Insights?

Between Fusion and STI, I would build an STI. I have looked into the same build you are thinking about, and the STI would not be that much more than the Fusion. I have shot an STI long slide 9mm, it was an awesome gun. I have built a Fusion 1911 in .45. It is a great gun, but will not be building another Fusion. Check with Remsport mfg. on FB for similar products.

Start your quest for a Springfield Omega set. .38 Super, 9mm, and .45acp.
Sorry Hayata, I'm not a Springer fan. I have to agree with NWSharpshooter on this one. While that is an interesting piece, it's just not where I want to go.

Between Fusion and STI, I would build an STI. I have looked into the same build you are thinking about, and the STI would not be that much more than the Fusion. I have shot an STI long slide 9mm, it was an awesome gun. I have built a Fusion 1911 in .45. It is a great gun, but will not be building another Fusion. Check with Remsport mfg. on FB for similar products.

Markj, I'll admit to drooling over your Fusion build a while back, and reading about the issues you had with Fusion.
Have you had any experience with Remsport? They have some interesting products and compelling products, I'll have to dig a little deeper on them.

On the STI front, I have to agree with you, I've ALWAYS drooled on them, but never been able to afford one outright. I've taken to the build option as something I can do over time and put in some sweat equity to round out the project (and give me an excuse to buy more tools too). Do you (or anybody) have suggestions on vendors for STI, or just deal with them directly?

Yes, I just drooled over all them STI's for an hour.
I understand sir. I understand.

Sorry Hayata, I'm not a Springer fan. I have to agree with NWSharpshooter on this one. While that is an interesting piece, it's just not where I want to go.

What you may not know is that the "Top End" on the Springfield Omega was made by the highly-respected German Firm Peters Stahl...HTH....mikey357

Last edited:
I remember that there are several vendors that cater to the race gun crowd that sell the STI frame/slide sets. I believe they were slightly cheaper than going direct to STI, but all were out of stock :rolleyes:

I talked with the guy from Remsport on the phone for about 30 mins. He seemed really helpful and was willing to sell different combos of frames and slides, he would even fit a barrel ( no idea where his barrels come from). As I understand it, the Remsports are forgings from Korea and are machined here in the US.

Call Bobby at Freedom Gunworks in vidalia I think he is. Tell him what you want and he can probably hook you up. The patent on the sti/svi frame has expired and Bobby and someone else I can't remember who at the moment went in together to come up with their own 2011's built on their frame with an sti/svi grip.

Back
Top Bottom