• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Inappropriate communication stupid texts and unwillingness to have a phone conversation.

It's a text message all the same.
you still pee sitting down?
a "text" is a form of communication using a cell phone. thats what is being talked about. not the fact that typing on a forum uses text as its form of communication..

noun: text message; plural noun: text messages
  1. an electronic communication sent and received by mobile phone.

This rant has been simmering for a while. Some time ago I started PMing with a SOT about a can. I gave him my number and told him unknown caller go directly to voicemail. Leave a message or send a text. Several days later I get a one word text. What would you do? I normally delete BS texts as a phishing attempt.

it turns out that the one word text was just part of his ODT handle.

Can you think of a more f*cked up way to say “hi this is ******* I got your number from ODT”? And I told him so. A couple days later I bought a can from Quiet Riot.

Recently I was mildly interested in a gun for sale. It is an obscure twin for my EDC and I sent a PM with my name and number. 2 weeks later I still see the same weapon, relisted and bumped on a daily basis.

What the F*ck is wrong with people? What is so hard about having a conversation.. in each case I had already made the decision to buy. so I wasn’t even thinking about haggling. I guess there is an entire generation who cannot effectively communicate
Yeah keep blaming stuff constantly on the younger generations see who’s ass doesn’t wind up in a nursing home the minute it’s an option. That’s a general statement not just directed to the OP. That nonsense gets old quick.
If they really want to sell it they can talk on the phone
except the rules state the time and place for the meet (and obviously price I’m pretty sure) must be agreed upon in pms. Not text. Texts are easy to fake. That way The admins can check anyones messages to confirm that someone did not back out of a deal they agreed to.

Texting and/or calling is the easiest way to communicate until there is an ODT app but you still gotta confirm in the pms hence why some people won’t do the former options.

This is probably main reason I don't take calls or call people. Almost always they want to start asking about extras or "haggling". And they think haggling is some cool lost art that their granpappy taught them and it's going to waste If they don't talk you into throwing in an extra magazine or box of ammo.
Does no one really appreciate bargaining in a deal any more? I thought it was cool how my grandpa could always get a guy to come down on stuff at a trade day/flea market. Never really perceived it as annoying but if that’s the consensus then dually noted.

I've met two of the people here that have proclaimed their love for phone conversations and they're both definitely hagglers, both tried hard to convince me I wanted something that I definitely did not want :lol:

To each their own, I just don't like to haggle and don't need too. I post detailed pictures of what I'm selling or trading, and a detailed description, and it always gets sold or traded in a timely fashion by members who know how to make simple transactions via text.
I only haggle in PMs, the call is just to get a feel for whom I’m dealing with.
most of the time the member is already established and everything is in PMs.
But if I’m selling, let’s say and AR15 I rather speak to them before hand.

Haggling on an item that is already fairly priced, or priced under market value is not a virtue or something to be admired.

It is an annoyance at best, uncouth at worst.
LOL,
yes there are fair deals around here, but with so much over priced and hyped stuff lately… :noidea:
I routinely leave some haggle room in my ads, not much mind you, but just a little because I know people like to barter, especially on a trading site.
Haggling isn’t necessarily a low ball, might be added ammo, holster, large fuel tank. Or whatever is offered.

Haggling on an item that is already fairly priced, or priced under market value is not a virtue or something to be admired.

It is an annoyance at best, uncouth at worst.
Well yes I would agree with you on the not trying to pay what’s fair, how do we determine market value? Cause a glock on here is worth anywhere from $4xx-$2k same for other guns, several makes of guns have such large price variances that would be the situation I would see fit for going back and forth on a final price. And hey if someone comes along willing to pay the listed price while another is haggling then the haggler obviously has no place to get mad.

*Noted not to haggle if you ever post anything that catches my eye

you still pee sitting down?
a "text" is a form of communication using a cell phone. thats what is being talked about. not the fact that typing on a forum uses text as its form of communication..

noun: text message; plural noun: text messages
  1. an electronic communication sent and received by mobile phone.
Why did you send me this text message instead of calling me?

What’s the type of weapon got to do with it?
I trade stuff all the time that won’t kill someone, however I’m not knowingly arming a thug, crackhead, some whacked out kid, etc.
Can you be fooled, yes. Should you still try? Yes

I was just referring to something I might trade for. I guess i should have only said “weapon” for the ones that just want to nitpick.

Back
Top Bottom