• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Inflation….

jett3663

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
So, we all agree that everything costs too much. I was looking at the 2024 Corvette today which has a base price of $68k and change.
The average American income is just under $64k.
In 1981 the base price of a Corvette was $16,800. I was a blue collar worker in a factory in 1981 and was making $16k/year.
As bad as I dislike current administration this was waaaaay closer than I would have thought……

1981? Inflation was pretty dang bad back then too. Remember the Carter years?

During 1981, inflation in both retail and primary mar- kets slowed to the lowest pace since 1977. The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) moved up 8.9 percent, following increases of 13.3 and 12.4 percent in 1979 and 1980.

1981? Inflation was pretty dang bad back then too. Remember the Carter years?

During 1981, inflation in both retail and primary mar- kets slowed to the lowest pace since 1977. The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) moved up 8.9 percent, following increases of 13.3 and 12.4 percent in 1979 and 1980.

And let's not forget that interest rates were through the roof - which they needed to be to get that inflation rate down. Paul Volcker was maybe the only good appointment Carter made during that utterly awful administration.

The early '80s is the last period you want to compare to. The economy being so bad back then is why I decided to go back in the military after having been out for over 3 years. Carter really had things screwed up. From my POV it was worse then than it is now at least for me personally. Even as an E4 in the military I couldn't afford to buy a home. Interest rates were insane.

The early '80s is the last period you want to compare to. The economy being so bad back then is why I decided to go back in the military after having been out for over 3 years. Carter really had things screwed up. From my POV it was worse then than it is now at least for me personally. Even as an E4 in the military I couldn't afford to buy a home. Interest rates were insane.
I see your point, which makes a lot of sense, except for the E4 buying a house thing. That’s definitely not “buy a house” territory traditionally.

I see your point, which makes a lot of sense, except for the E4 buying a house thing. That’s definitely not “buy a house” territory traditionally.
Maybe not. My Mom and Dad bought a house when he was an E4 in the air force and had 5 kids. It was not much of a house. We lived in it and remodeled it room by room and they made a good profit when they sold it 8 years later. That was in 62-70, just for comparison.

Reactions: GFB
In the early 90s I spoke with my next-door neighbor about mortgage interest and he said they bought their house in the 80s with a mortgage interest rate of 18%. Can you imagine how high that is? Mine right now is 2.75 and I think 8-9% would be crippling. I just calculated it and a mortgage payment of 18% would 4X my current payment. Making mortgage payments on an 800K home @ 2.75% would be the nearly same amount as a 200K home @ 18%.

Reactions: GFB
Maybe not. My Mom and Dad bought a house when he was an E4 in the air force and had 5 kids. It was not much of a house. We lived in it and remodeled it room by room and he made a good profit when he sold it 8 years later. That was in 62-70, just for comparison.
When my dad was an E4 my parents had an “apartment” with no bathroom that was basically a couple rooms in a house. When I was an E4 I got an apartment with another E4. It was pretty basic. I honestly don’t remember anyone buying a house at that rank pre-GWB pay raises. Which doesn’t go against your point that the economy sucked in the early 80s. By all accounts it did.

Back
Top Bottom