• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO's Please Help Me Out Here!!

What kind of "drug usage" are we talking here? Were you ever arrested and convicted? As far as I'm concerned if you have no convictions and it's not on your record don't say ****. While I don't believe in lying I also don't believe in judging a man based on his mistakes. So you did a little blow and puffed some on the magic dragon when you were younger. Hell I'd guess Vanguard has done that and look how christian he is now. We all do stupid **** when are young but we learn and grow from our mistakes. If a department won't take you because you've done drugs that's their loss. I've had sherrifs that worked at my highschool that were 100 percent honest and said they've done pot when they were younger. Hell as far as I'm concerned anyone age 40-50 has more than likely done pot, and anyone ages 15-30 still does pot.

Some places are just picky and if they have a bunch of applicants they can get away with it. If there are no conviction then some departments look the other way because they know how it is, I know a lot of officers who won't right tickets of misdemeanor marijuana possession unless you P.O.P. Could always look federal, I know the CBP didn't ask jack as far as drug usage on their application, more interested if you would be willing to shoot someone.

Yeah, fortunately I've never been convicted or arrested or anything. I think what it is, is that some of the larger counties DO have so many applicants. At the moment, I've got several Correctional Dept apps going for me, and am in the process of looking into "podunk" counties!

Sorry bud, More than likely it won't happen unless you lie. Integrity is the cornerstone of LE. Those without it eventually take the walk of shame. So in essence, have you looked into other jobs that maybe support LE etc? There are still some pretty good career fields out there for the techs etc that do the wiretaps, plant gps modules on cars etc.

AFAIK, the Drug use=automatic DQ is pretty much standard policy amongst LE agencies, but some are far more strict about it than others.

As someone who has smoked a bit of weed in my youth, and recently made it through the application process* for the GCSO let me give you a little bit of advice... Your initial application packet will ask you about your prior drug use, and you will be required to list **in detail** what you've done, when your first time was, your last time, how many times total, etc. This application (and your answers) forms the basis for your poly. Lie on your application and you'll fail the poly.

It's really more about your honesty/integrity than your prior drug use.

*Student interns are required to complete the same application process (minus the physical/obstable course/run, etc) as the new recruits, including the poly, psych, panel interview, credit check, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom