• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever rifles

Blyco

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Thugnificent
51   0
Reaction score
Just curious. I have little experience with lever guns, and was thinking of picking one up, likely in a pistol caliber (.44 mag/.44 spec/.45 LC). I read a slightly older thread somewhere here a few days ago where someone took a huge dump on lever guns for accuracy, range and quality. I can't seem to find it again. One thing that I have learned is that they are not cheap, and are hard to find in most calibers other than .22LR or .22Mag. I do not hunt, but love to shoot quality guns. I know they've been around for what - 150 or so years? Doin' something right. Question, though. Side load or tube load? Advantages or Dis or either? The Henrys seem to weigh about twice as much as a Rossi, with a harder to find Winchester even more. Where is a good place to start?

Anywhere you can find them. Pawnshops, gun shows, swap meets, Gun broker, ODT, Guns America, Guns International and so on.....The Winchester actions seem better/ best early 1900s and back, you will pay a premium. Lucky for me I like the Marlins the best. Any of the modern day ones, Henry, Rossi and Italian made ones seem to be very smooth. If I was going to get a Henry, I'd get one with side and tube loading. At any rate a good lever is almost never cheap

I've four. I like the model 1892, have one in 32-20 and another in 38-40. Smooth as glass. I have a 1954 Win 1894 in 30-30 and one Marlin 36A in 22 lr. I do not like modern Winchesters, the quality seems less. Marlins, some of the newer ones, leave a bit to be desired too. Not all, some. Side gate loaders are more convenient. Do you need optics? That can make a difference in selection too.

I like them and got one in 357. I like the caliber and revolvers one it, so it made sense. Get a Henry so you have tube and gate loading.

Certainly accurate enough for any reasonable defense shot and closer in hunting

Attachments

• 49540C39-2281-47BB-9C7E-FCE798585188.png
    49540C39-2281-47BB-9C7E-FCE798585188.png
    619.9 KB · Views: 22
I’ve shot multiple sub 1” groups at 100 yards with my lever actions(with a scope)

I’ve got a 45 colt marlin listed on here

Right now you are gonna pay more than ever for a lever ;)

The asking prices are pretty crazy on here !

If you have $1500 to spend, you can get a nice rifle and some ammo.

For a grand ,you can get a Rossi 92 and some ammo.

Ive had Marlins and Winchesters over the years in 30-30 ,35, 357 & 44 . I can honestly say ,I love the 357 the best for reloading and plinking .

Good luck and let us know what ya find ;)

Sold my Rossi in .357 and replaced it with the .44mag version.

I LOVE the 16" barrels. Quick to point. Almost feels like a toy.

Side load, top eject like God intended.

The advantage of the tube load is unloading if you're a hunter, which you said you weren't.

Online tutorials show you how to slick the Rossi's action up pretty well. I haven't done that yet.

Nice thing about a pcc is you don't have to add a new cartridge to stock. And a .44mag will get 'er done in the woods if you ever decide to start hunting.

Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom