Looking for a .22 handgun....

Not sure if anyone asked, but do you own a pistol that has a 22 conversion available? I have a conversion for my Sig P220 that I love. The kits are comparable in price or cheaper than most of the pistols recommended.

Last edited:
I had my SR22 break it's take down lever three different times with the last one only lasting a little over 100 rounds. Ruger has excellent service and fixed it every time.

That said I love my 22/45. It eats anything and shoots great!

Yep. I have a mk3.
The "improvements" are crap

The magazine disconnect Is garbage
The mag is rounded on the front AND the back.
Making is possible to insert it backwards in the well

Then the notch in the mag that normally holds the mag in the gun will hook on the disconnect

And it will NOT come out
You have to order a special tool to remove it and it ruins the mag in the process.

Then there's the loaded chamber indicator .....
I've seen videos of people tapping the indicator with a hammer causing the gun to fire

The fear of the MK3 features exceeds the reality honestly.
The loaded chamber indicator is easily/cheaply removed and replaced with a matched filler.
The mag safety is easily disabled.
Etc etc

That being said, having a good bit of experience with all the MKs I would say I like my
MK3 Hunter Talo Edition the best. Better sights, and extremely accurate.
The Buckmark is fine too, good trigger etc. I just prefer the Ruger Mks.
The SR22 is a great plinker but not nearly as accurate, which is fun too, in a different way.
The 90's S&W 422/622 family of guns are sweet shooters. Great triggers, light, accurate..will beat an SR22 in that dept easily. A model 41, well...even better....but not cheap.

At the end of the day I would not hesitate to get a Mk2 or Mk3 Ruger. If you have one 22 pistol that would be a good one to have. Just avoid the 'fixed grip' style 22/45s for versatility sake.

For plinking- (shotshell hulls at 10 yds) I like the Taurus 94. No clips, double/single action, 9 shots, Pretty much a pocket of fun gun. Advise finding and older model (much smoother) as the newer ones have a lawyer's trigger pull. I do have rugers, standard up through a MKIII, Smith 17s, 34s and 41s but always go for the little taurus for just plain fun and I don't have to worry about "collector" values. Another option is get yourself a Browning 800 Air Pistol in .22.

I'd look into a Ruger Mark II or III. Super accurate and fun to shoot. They are a bit challenging to take down but once you know the correct procedure and do it enough it becomes a piece of cake. And boy do they look cool. :cool:

markIII.jpg

Have you thought about a Phoenix Arms. I am pretty sure mine is a HP-22? It ain't the best looking thing in the world and ain't a tack driver, but it only costs $100. If it craps out I'll sell it for scrap and buy another. I have to say it is very reliable. If I use the plated ammo in it it runs %100. The softer lead ammo can sometimes deform on the feed ramp and jam.(Maybe 1-3 per brick of ammo). Hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom