• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to purchase a new AR any suggestions?

I guess the only thing to do then is get some from each company and shoot them, compare accuracy, measure gas ports, don't know what else you could do?

I've had a few FN barrels from PSA and they all shot better than my capabilities allow.

I never said that they weren’t good barrels, and that they didn’t shoot well! They are good barrels, and in regards to the few that I’ve shot, I have no complaints about the accuracy.

All I said is they aren’t made to the same specs, and the specs that I’m referring to are full military specifications in regards to manufacturing 4150 CrMoV CHF CL barrels. Yes, the military cares about accuracy, but they also place a lot of emphasis on longevity for strings of full-auto fire, and other considerations that many of us civvies don’t necessarily care about.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a different spec (that happens to be less expensive to manufacture) when we don’t need that milspec tool for the task.

I don’t try and hide that I’m a huge fan of SOLGW and the things they do over there. SOLGW has quit using CHF CL barrels and gone to button-rifled nitrided barrels. Less expensive, they tend to be very accurate, and for the vast majority of civilian “firing schedules”, we’ll never notice the difference.

Great, pick up an HK416 if you don't like Asian girls

What’s your problem? I never said a single thing against Asians, or Asian firearms. Don’t project your racism and hang-ups on me.

Don’t turn a gear discussion into personal attacks.

I will not recommend the HK416 for the EXACT same reasons that I won’t recommend the T91: Piston guns trade a different set of “problems” with the DGI guns. Not any better, just different. Proprietary parts that you can’t find on the shelf of your LGS. Spare parts and accessories have to be sourced off the internet. Piston setups take up more space over the barrel than a DGI gas tube, so you’re severely limited in what rails you use.

On top of all of those issues is the added cost of going HK, and the increased difficulty of finding parts in stock online. A complete HK MR556 MLOK upper receiver assembly is about $2500, which is 3x the OP’s price for a complete AR. I can’t honestly argue that kinda price for an AR to anyone.

I was only talking about the T91 specifically because that’s the upper receiver assembly that YOU recommended several times. The complaints that I had are the same that I would have for any of the piston AR’s that I’m actually familiar with. It has nothing to do with the T91 specifically, or where they’re made, or what the folks look like that make them.

One of my favorite AR parts companies is Forward Controls Design. The owner of FCD is Roger Wang, who is Taiwanese and grew up in Taiwan.

Only one company is currently making those proprietary parts for the T91, and they’ve coming from Taiwan. The American company repping and selling them is a completely different company. If the American company goes under, or the Taiwanese company stops shipping parts, you’re out of parts. Good luck fixing something.

If any DOZEN companies making any part of the standard AR15 go out of business, or quit selling to the public, there are still DOZENS of companies making those same parts. You switch to another company and buy those parts. Nothing has to be proprietary, and all parts made to milspec are fully interchangeable.

What’s your problem? I never said a single thing against Asians, or Asian firearms. Don’t project your racism and hang-ups on me.

Don’t turn a gear discussion into personal attacks.

I will not recommend the HK416 for the EXACT same reasons that I won’t recommend the T91: Piston guns trade a different set of “problems” with the DGI guns. Not any better, just different. Proprietary parts that you can’t find on the shelf of your LGS. Spare parts and accessories have to be sourced off the internet. Piston setups take up more space over the barrel than a DGI gas tube, so you’re severely limited in what rails you use.

On top of all of those issues is the added cost of going HK, and the increased difficulty of finding parts in stock online. A complete HK MR556 MLOK upper receiver assembly is about $2500, which is 3x the OP’s price for a complete AR. I can’t honestly argue that kinda price for an AR to anyone.

I was only talking about the T91 specifically because that’s the upper receiver assembly that YOU recommended several times. The complaints that I had are the same that I would have for any of the piston AR’s that I’m actually familiar with. It has nothing to do with the T91 specifically, or where they’re made, or what the folks look like that make them.

One of my favorite AR parts companies is Forward Controls Design. The owner of FCD is Roger Wang, who is Taiwanese and grew up in Taiwan.

Only one company is currently making those proprietary parts for the T91, and they’ve coming from Taiwan. The American company repping and selling them is a completely different company. If the American company goes under, or the Taiwanese company stops shipping parts, you’re out of parts. Good luck fixing something.

If any DOZEN companies making any part of the standard AR15 go out of business, or quit selling to the public, there are still DOZENS of companies making those same parts. You switch to another company and buy those parts. Nothing has to be proprietary, and all parts made to milspec are fully interchangeable.
Whoa! Okay, you like Asian girls. What do you have against German girls who are dearly loved by the USMC (M27 IAR)? German girls are too expensive for me though. I love my cost-conscious Asian babes. T91/A1 for me.

1676690811542.png

Whoa! Okay, you like Asian girls. What do you have against German girls who are dearly loved by the USMC (M27 IAR)? German girls are too expensive for me though. I love my cost-conscious Asian babes. T91/A1 for me.

I spent 2 years in the PI. I like Asian girls just fine.

The Corps screwed up major when they dumped the M249 SAW (Belgian girl) for the fraulein. Asinine.

I never said that they weren’t good barrels, and that they didn’t shoot well! They are good barrels, and in regards to the few that I’ve shot, I have no complaints about the accuracy.

All I said is they aren’t made to the same specs, and the specs that I’m referring to are full military specifications in regards to manufacturing 4150 CrMoV CHF CL barrels. Yes, the military cares about accuracy, but they also place a lot of emphasis on longevity for strings of full-auto fire, and other considerations that many of us civvies don’t necessarily care about.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a different spec (that happens to be less expensive to manufacture) when we don’t need that milspec tool for the task.

I don’t try and hide that I’m a huge fan of SOLGW and the things they do over there. SOLGW has quit using CHF CL barrels and gone to button-rifled nitrided barrels. Less expensive, they tend to be very accurate, and for the vast majority of civilian “firing schedules”, we’ll never notice the difference.

I always assumed PSA just bought contract over runs from FN. But who knows, even people at the top spread ignorant rumors.

Nasty rumor says SOLGW gets their barrels from ballistic advantage.

I always assumed PSA just bought contract over runs from FN. But who knows, even people at the top spread ignorant rumors.

Nasty rumor says SOLGW gets their barrels from ballistic advantage.

It’s a fact that SOLGW now sources their barrels from BA, but they’re built specifically for SOLGW and to their specs. Each and every barrel is then inspected and gauged when they get to SOLGW. Anything that doesn’t meet their criteria is sent back.

Back
Top Bottom