• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Might need motor replaced

Junkyard engines are a real gamble
No, not really. They generally have a 60-90 day guarantee, plenty of time to discover any defect. You will know if it's good in a few minutes after stalling them. Not to mention it's only a few gaskets to check everything, install a new timing chain, front and rear seals, intake and valve cover gaskets before installation. And a compression check after.
I've had better luck with used than cheap assed remans like Jasper Engines or whatever the box stores are selling these days. Unless you have the wherewithal t disassemble and Check EVERYTHING!
Only remans I would recommend would be GM remanufactured engines. They are comparable to the cheap ones in price and ten times the quality.

Reactions: MRM
I was leaning towards a gm short block if anything.
My problem is that I usually do better work and don't trust people.
My other problem is I am usually broke and don't want to charge a trumped up bill for crap.
So I have to do it myself. I am just currently busy and don't usually get into this sort of thing lately.

I was leaning towards a gm short block if anything.
My problem is that I usually do better work and don't trust people.
My other problem is I am usually broke and don't want to charge a trumped up bill for crap.
So I have to do it myself. I am just currently busy and don't usually get into this sort of thing lately.
I hear ya, I'm a stickler for getting mechanical issues perfect. Cosmetic and shiny stuff not so much. I've had some of the ugliest fast vehicles... last a lifetime too.
If you do a short block you will still have to get your heads reworked just pissing in the wind if you don't. That's not cheap for good work. So I would look at a complete GM reman to compare prices with short block and heads re worked.
I'm assuming the truck isn't worth the cost of all that and would still recommend a used motor from a reputable yard with a good guarantee, from a cost to value ratio.

Reactions: MRM
I have it figured, the running horse colors would be the M colors instead.
Wheel base and length are almost exact. I would just fab up the mounting points.
(Sounds so easy)

Back
Top Bottom