• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Might need motor replaced

Getting the heads reworked is again what would need to be done if I went that way. (I would probably buy a spring tool and just DIY the guides)

My problem with that is the down time. My buddy uses the truck to go to Dr. appointments with a hip replacement a month or two out.

So I am considering
1. Do nothing except Lucas.
2. Home voodoo bearing repair
3. Junkyard engine swap
4. Jasper
5. GM long block.

Don't take me wrong (really) But good luck finding a Good 4.3 junk yard motor. You prob already know those are very popular (Very Reliable Too) Hope you find one wrecked with under 200k on it. My Uncle in law inherited one 400k+ and counting but he's "The Stickler". Good Luck either way you go Bro

I Don't even have the comparable years ironed out. Either 99-00 or 99-06.
That is what I'm thinking. All the junk yard stuff should be high mileage.
I think it does have a balance shaft.

That is another thing that I would have checked. I read that a shoestring could be used to polish the crank with some fine paper.

The knock is not good for the crank or the bearings. So I feel I will be checking it out soon.
Honestly if it has any roughness at all....replace the crank, bearings, and oil pump if you want it to last.

4.3"s arent usually known for knocks or high failure rates so I would be tempted to go used. LKQ or McDonough Used parts would be my first calls. I have bought and installed many used motors from them. No clue where to look in your area. I have a good friend in Blue Ridge that might have some idea. PM me if you want me to inquire.

I'm no motor guru at all. But could the noise be coming from the top? We use chevy 2500 at work and we've had problems with lifters and rockers around the 200,000 mile time. Our trucks stay loaded pretty much all the time.

No, not really. They generally have a 60-90 day guarantee, plenty of time to discover any defect. You will know if it's good in a few minutes after stalling them. Not to mention it's only a few gaskets to check everything, install a new timing chain, front and rear seals, intake and valve cover gaskets before installation. And a compression check after.
I've had better luck with used than cheap assed remans like Jasper Engines or whatever the box stores are selling these days. Unless you have the wherewithal t disassemble and Check EVERYTHING!
Only remans I would recommend would be GM remanufactured engines. They are comparable to the cheap ones in price and ten times the quality.

So, are the junkyards now reimbursing installation costs for one of their engines that grenade 3 weeks after install?

You will have more than $500 tied up in installing a junker mot0r once you add labor and needed parts. Another 5 bills when they trade one junker for the next "good" junker. Money is better spent on a known good (factory new or rebuilt) engine. Else, cut your losses and buy another vehicle.

Reactions: MRM
I'm no motor guru at all. But could the noise be coming from the top? We use chevy 2500 at work and we've had problems with lifters and rockers around the 200,000 mile time. Our trucks stay loaded pretty much all the time.

The first time I put a stethoscope on a 4.3, I heard sounds I never thought possible from a running engine. Clanks, rattles and knocks, and this is from a running engine with "no" noise when running.

Back
Top Bottom