• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice about wifi security cameras

Jeddak

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
142   0
Reaction score
Searched on ODT, I know we had talked about it, but my googfu is off today.
Need 4 wifi cameras, with DVR and remote viewing ability.
Have 100% wifi coverage around the house (good Asus router), exterior lights that I can tap in for power.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Personally, prefer POE instead of WiFi. If you can pull cat5/6 cabling, the DVR can pass the power. Have used both and less headache with POE, plus the DVR can be easily powered via UPS and still record when power and Internet is down. In my opinion, Security Camera Warehouse is the best in the business and you can always speak directly with a live person that understands the product, including cameras and recording equipment. Not the cheapest but sometimes you pay a little more for top quality.

https://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/

Personally, prefer POE instead of WiFi. If you can pull cat5/6 cabling, the DVR can pass the power. Have used both and less headache with POE, plus the DVR can be easily powered via UPS and still record when power and Internet is down. In my opinion, Security Camera Warehouse is the best in the business and you can always speak directly with a live person that understands the product, including cameras and recording equipment. Not the cheapest but sometimes you pay a little more for top quality.

https://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/
POE for the win but if you are stuck with Wi-Fi check out SuperCircuits.com
Make sure to get a NVR, not just DVR.
Also make sure the NVR has a hard drive installed as a lot of them just have an empty hard drive slot.

And just fyi
You will not be using your wifi for the cameras.
The NVR wifi systems have their own wifi to talk to the cameras.
But after you put the NVR on Ethernet, then you can go through your in-house wifi with a smart phone or tablet to view the NVR.

Blink and Arlo are popular choices for DIY.
Seems like Arlo has a few choices for internally powered cameras but requires a recharge when low. Those typically have a motion sensor PIR to activate recording to keep from running the battery down so fast.
Thats a good option if there is NO power available for the cameras.
Note: even the wifi cameras need power and typically come with a 110vac plug in transformer

Back
Top Bottom