• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help ODT Truck will not start

Could be the ignition switch? You're obviously getting power when the key is turned to accessory, but it may not be making contact when turned to "start."

Had the same issue on a 2007 F-150. Key goes into ignition switch and turns a small rod in the column. The rod turns this small black box on the other side and the truck starts. I pulled the box out and used a screw driver with the key in the ignition and it started

Over time the rod becomes loose and wont turn the box

20180630_214937.jpg

You made sure it was in park, but have you tried to start it in neutral? As you discovered, the starter and battery isnt bad, So something is keeping it from getting power. If you have an extra set of hands, have someone multi meter at different points to discover where the blockage is.

Also if the starter isnt spinning, smacking the solenoid generally wont help. smacking it is to loosen the solenoid, but the starter actually needs to be turning for this to help.

This.

My F150 won't start in park about 25% of the time. Dead as a hammer. No lights, no starter noise. no nothing. Shift to neutral and if fires right up. I just don't worry about it.

On the other hand, my GF has called me a half dozen times over 30 years because her car won't start. First question, "are you stepping on
the brake"?

"Nevermind"

2 calls today for "no start" conditions.

One had 2 starter bolts not torqued down, and the power cable to the starter solenoid had the retaining nut slightly loose. Starter not touched in 2 years, always started fine, till today. Properly torqued the affected nuts and bolts, she started right up.

The second one had burned contacts in the start switch. Replaced it, and good to go.

Must be the hot weather........

The starter motor is prolly worn out. They burn up. Especially if you dip em in oil. If you’re handy and don’t mind crawling up into your motor from the bottom you can buy one off amazon and replace it yourself. It’s not that difficult. Just wear eye protection. It’s all on Youtube.

UPDATE:

Truck started on Tuesday after the dealership replaced the smart junction box (fuse panel). However it turns out critters had been eating on the wiring harness to the transmission, so it is at a shop getting that repaired. Would have tackled that project if I had the time, just back in town and go back to work Monday.

Thanks odt for the post and comments! Love community brainstorming.

UPDATE:

Truck started on Tuesday after the dealership replaced the smart junction box (fuse panel). However it turns out critters had been eating on the wiring harness to the transmission, so it is at a shop getting that repaired. Would have tackled that project if I had the time, just back in town and go back to work Monday.

You can thank your environmentally friendly soy based insulation for that.

UPDATE:

My trucks been sitting for almost 3 months now, hopefully I won’t have any problems with it. Only use to drive it on the weekends until my accident. A bird was building a nest in the hood somewhere. Who knows what it’ll be like. Guess I’ll see if my brother will start it up or if he’s been driving it at all

My trucks been sitting for almost 3 months now, hopefully I won’t have any problems with it. Only use to drive it on the weekends until my accident. A bird was building a nest in the hood somewhere. Who knows what it’ll be like. Guess I’ll see if my brother will start it up or if he’s been driving it at all

Hopefully you will have no issues. Mine is driven every weekend and off and on after work.

Back
Top Bottom